Weekly parent newsletters in high school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Apr 30, 2018

Does anyone who teaches high school write weekly newsletters home? If so do they help with teacher-parent relationships when you have to call home about behavior or grade issues? I have a coworker who does this and tells me it reduces parent complaints if she has to call home about behavior or grades. After this year, and the parents calling me a liar when I have to call home about their kids behavior and e ct, I am thinking of trying it. However I question if high school is too old for newsletters since it is something you hear about done in elementary school.

3. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Apr 30, 2018

I have been doing newsletters home for all my 6-12 students. While I don’t hear from the high school parents as much, it does seem to help to have established rapport when issues came up. I certainly never did it every week. At the beginning every 2-3 weeks and now once a month or when something notable is coming up.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 30, 2018

Not weekly, but I do try to communicate frequently. I think it helps some with approaching parents with bad news if you've already sent home good/neutral news. That could be just my perception though.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 1, 2018

I do it every couple of weeks, give parents an update on what their students are learning, perhaps take some photos of projects they have done, definitely what assessment are coming up and their due dates etc. When I have to ring home about non submission of work or any other problem it’s definitely much easier because parents already have an idea of what their kid should be doing/learning etc. and they can’t say “I didn’t know” because I’ve communicated it to them.

Backroads likes this.
  6. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 1, 2018

I definitely agree with this. Parents don’t think I am picking on the kid if I send home good/bad/neutral news prior and that they know I do place an emphasis on all communication not just the bad. They are more receptive rather than defensive of the news I ring them about.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 1, 2018

I've started using Remind to keep in touch with parents. It's great for mass messages (such as the time our heat broke and we had to cancel school in a hurry) and also for individual contacts. If a parent doesn't want me to text, I make sure the messages go to email instead. I probably COULD send out weekly updates, but I have not had the need at this time.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2018

I love the Remind app!

catnfiddle likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 2, 2018

Me too! It has drastically increased parent interactions and ALSO helps create a paper trail if there are any problems.

10. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

May 2, 2018

How does the remind app work? I was planning on using the schools grade/ contact system to send out mass messages for a newsletter, but I know not all parents have given their contact info. It sounds like it is worth a try.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 2, 2018

Set up an account on Remind.com and have it go to your school email account (I don't recommend it go to your cell phone just for your own sanity). You can have interested parents text your account so you have the correct names and phone numbers, and also so you know who is willing to receive texts or emails.
    upload_2018-5-2_20-18-35.png

From there, you can simply send and receive messages on the Remind site and also get emails delivered to your school account.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 2, 2018

And you can use it the original way, where it is one-way communication. Parents/students do not have the opportunity to send a reply from the app or respond to the message you sent. Saves a lot of work that way.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 2, 2018

This is true! I just prefer having an easy way for parents to reach me. It's increased our community engagement tenfold.

14. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

May 3, 2018

I will have to check that out. Thank you!