Weekly interview...today's experience

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by willsgirl, Jul 23, 2007.

1. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Warning: Could be a bit long.

Today I had an interview with a principal from a somewhat less than desirable district for 7/8 LA. It's a bit of a drive, but better than I thought it would be. I had talked with him earlier in the summer and apparently the person he originally hired didn't "make it" through alt cer. The princ. was great. He recognized me from somewhere -- neigher of us could remember where. He was very easy to talk with, professional, knows his stuff -- so unlike where I came from. Even though it's a school I would not have normally applied to, I think it could be really good because of this guy. And it pays decent for the area. His new AP, tho, scared me. He never talked much, kept getting up and leaving the interview, and took lots of notes. Did not ask me a thing and in fact, tried to explain some things to me that I had already talked about. Like he reiterated things that I had said in a sort of condescending way. Didn't even stick around long enough to shake my hand. He has very high credentials so it's not like he was an amature and didn't know how to act. This guy worried me a bit. Well, anyway, the nice principal said he was needing to "get on this quick" and that he had another person to talk to (what???he told me before he was desperate) and would let me know sometime this week but to call him if I did not hear from him by the end of the week. I hate the wait and see stuff. It sends off bad vibes.

Took off on the long drive home, stopped for gas, then checked my voicemail. Got a call from the only other district looking for my cert. in the area. Once again, not one I would normally choose, but hey, times are tuff. And, it's a bit closer and pays about the same.
    So, I know this princ. is new to the district (so is his super. and they both sound very, very young), and I bet is panicked to fill this vacancy. First thing he asks me was if I had a job or not yet (awe, gee, how could I tell him I just got back from a fairly promising interview -- despite the AP?) He, too, seemed desperate, had four of us he wanted to interview, and was "needing to get on this right away." He said the school is in a shambles because of getting ready for school to start, so wanted to meet elsewhere. OK, so we're meeting at a McDonald's conveniently located in a town close to mine (and apparently his) at 10 AM tomorrow. Question is, should I go early enough for breakfast (so my tummy won't growl) or hang out long enough to see if he'll buy me lunch??? JUST KIDDING.

In all seriousness, I'm just about to the point to tell the truth...I need a job, please hire me, I'm not gonna BS you with a dog and pony show...instead of going through the ridiculous hoops and antics. Really, what do these people want, anyway?

So the pouring rain starts again. I just hope I don't get hit by lightening again. These are the last two jobs available in my very small area. And school starts in two weeks.

3. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

McDonalds? Seriously?

Sorry, that is just so STRANGE to me. :confused: Just be yourself. Sounds as if both principals need someone. Let them sound desperate, but just be you. If you are offered a job and they are hard to come by in your area, take it. I took one last year to get in the door and was able to move to my dream job this year.

Good luck to you!

4. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I know the McDonald's thing sounds a little strange, but I know this is the right person (the secretary at the school told me his name, that he was new) and everyone around here is getting ready for school to start, so floors are being waxed, desks are strewn everywhere, etc. (secretary verified that, too) Both this guy and myself live in the same area, but the actual school is quite a distance away, he had another meeting on this side of the county, so it makes sense. The McDonald's is a place that everyone knows about, is pretty busy, etc. so I'm not afraid or anything. But I can see why this may seem odd.

5. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I forgot how early some schools start in other areas. I hope your McDonald's interview goes well. Actually, I think I'd be much more relaxed if I could interview at McD's all the time! Just think of it as a cup of coffee and conversation :)

6. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

What a great way to look at it!:)

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, they have good coffee. Wonder if I should get some of the new cinnamon rolls they have. The way to a man's heart...

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if all interviews could be like that. I just wish I didn't have to get so dressed up for a trip to MickeyD's.

8. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

LOL! I didn't even think about having to go there dressed in a suit. Oh well, it's still less intimidating than a principal's office. If you try the cinnamon rolls let me know how they are! I love the Pillsbury ones :)

9. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 23, 2007

I had an interview at a Starbucks this summer. I didn't get the job, but it was an interesting experience!

10. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Oh, yeah, Starbuck's would be even better.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 23, 2007

Two in two days!! Good luck.

12. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

McDonalds?? who cares?! It's an interview. Good luck!

13. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I can sorta relate to the condescending principal. I interviewed within my district for a job last Fall. The human resource guy was good. He seemed really interested and asked questions. The principal kept rephrasing my answers. Once he rephrased my answer to implying I would do the work for the students. I will never forget that. While I wanted to teach there because it has always been "home", there is a time when you have to leave for greener pastures. In the last two years, this particular district has lost between 50-60 teachers and every principal this summer. I think that says plenty.

14. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 23, 2007

McDonalds or not, I wish you the best of luck! I hope that you get two offers, and that the ball is in YOUR court after all the hoops that you've had to jump thru!!

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Stay away from the cinnamon rolls - messy! Have a Coke and a smile:) Good Luck!