Weekly homework ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 20, 2015

Sometime ago I made a post with a disenchantment and desire to just get rid of homework in my class.

I've decided that I will resume weekly homework, but I'd like to keep it to one simple sheet and keep it with some broad ideas rather than busy worksheets.

What I'm thinking I'll include:

• A graph/recording spot for reading (haven't decided which one yet).
    • Spelling words
    • Sight words
    • Li'l spot for reminders and whatnot.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a few math problems on the back, but I really want to avoid the busy work look. Plus, many of our students have parents who can't speak/read English so busy work instructions are fairly futile. My husband speaks/reads Spanish fluently so I'm considering having him put any reminders in Spanish.

Any thoughts on this? More things? (if so, what?) Fewer things?

3. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 20, 2015

My homework is really simple. I put it on the back of the weekly newsletter. I just divided the page into four sections for Mon- Thurs. The reading assignment is usually sight words and the math is what ever skill students are learning along with counting practice.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2015

You probably already realize this, but for those who don't -- remember that just because someone speaks Spanish doesn't mean they can read or even write in Spanish. We sometimes forget that not everyone around the world has had access to a free education. I used to translate everything in to Spanish (because I had 8 parents who only spoke Spanish) -- only to find out that not one of them could read the written language.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 20, 2015

Very good point.