Weekly classroom newsletter

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by rileygirl, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rileygirl

rileygirl Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I am new to second grade teaching this year. I was wondering how you do your weekly newsletter. What do you put in it. ie spelling lists , reading logs ?????? Any actual examples would be great.

thank you

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I do not do a weekly newsletter in hard copy at least. I update my class website weekly with homework, special info, etc. I send home a monthly newsletter in writing. This includes all activities for the month, curriculum we are covering, birthdays, student of the month, and other important school information.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

I tell what we will be learning in all subjects. I list the new words for the week. This year, (now that I am in second) I am having a student write a few sentences for the newsletter. I am going to have a few questions that parents can ask their child about what we're learning. I also put important dates.

I do use reading logs, but not in the newsletter.

5. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

i have a monthly newsletter. I put academic updates (main tings we have been working on, and what we are working on next) for writing, reading, math and sci/ss. I do not do any spelling on it. Kids take home thier spelling lists every Friday after we have a pretest. On the newsletter I also include important dates, reminders (like to pack a snack, check HW), and sometimes I will do a fun box that goes with the holiday. For example, in Dec. I asked a few random kids what thier holiday traditions were and I typed up their responses. In March I asked a few what they thought a leprachaun was.

If you want to see examples, pm me with your email add and I'll send you a few.

6. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

My newsletter has their spelling words, vocab words, what we will be working on in each subject for the week, homework for the week, the story we are reading, the writing assignment for the week, and their conduct grade. Oh, and I always have my home phone number on it.

If I have special announcements, I copy them on bright colored paper and staple it to the newsletter.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I send out an official newsletter with each report card, but send weekly "updates". Each week, I send the spelling list, vocabulary words, and comprehension questions for our reading story and the math facts and a sample of the weekly math objective.

8. kavL7

kavL7 New Member

Mar 16, 2011

I would love to see some examples you might have!

Thank you

9. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Mar 16, 2011

I update my class website which has a newsletter tab every Friday. At the top I post events or important info for the coming week. Then I post our Learning Goals for each subject (we are required to do this) and then at the bottom which specials we have for each day. I just update the same newsletter each week so it really only takes me about 10 mins each week.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

I send out a "Weekly Overview" each Friday. At the top I list the subjects and what we'll be studying (Reading:Summarizing; Language:Helping Verbs; Writing: Descriptive Paragraph; Math:Subtraction with Ungrouping; Science:Natural Resources- for example). Under that I have a chart that lists the days of the week and any special events for those days. I typed in Music Art PE and circle which one our class has each day. I put things in like Early Release Day, or Grade Cards Go Home, or Spelling Test Today. At the bottom of the page I list the spelling words and vocabulary words & definitions for the week.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2011

Same with me!:yeahthat:

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 19, 2011

Weekly newsletter? No time for that....

I do a brief monthly calender in which the students put in a clear plastic page in their homework folder. It tells days off, events, conferences, etc.

13. saraschlick

saraschlick New Member

Mar 22, 2011

My students write our classroom newsletter! The first day or two of the month we sit together and brainstorm everything we remember learning about in the month before. Then I split my students into pairs and they each choose one or two items they want to write about. They work together to write their articles then they bring them to me, read them to me, and I do the editing and typing. I include pictures of some of the activities we've done throughout the month and add a few notes from myself and include important dates to remember. Voila! A classroom newsletter that I didn't have to do a lot of work on. My students LOVE it and I have received many compliments from parents that enjoy reading what the kids write. I also PDF each one and post it to our school website.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

I use Word with text boxes.

The main textbox has 'important dates' which I list anything I know of for the next 30 days.

Then I have text boxes for subjects but not for every subject every week.

I have textboxes for info such as send extra mittens, classroom needs, etc.

I usually add a photo or two of something we did in class that week. Pictures speak for thems.elves and are 'read'.

Advice...Keep the info brief. 1-2 sentences per box. Parents will not read more than this.

15. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Apr 20, 2011

I'd really like some help/suggestions with newsletters. I'd like to do it weekly but I've not found the time to make this possible. I do update my website weekly with homework and also type up an assignment log weekly for students' homework folders that has reminders on it. I was doing monthly newsletters, but recently I've found it easier to type up a note when a bunch of important information needs to go home which now happens about twice a month. I know it's too late to start weekly newsletters this year, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to stay on top of it next year? Thanks!

16. Iteachsecond

Iteachsecond Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

You may want to include a picture in your newsletter of an activity involving your class. My students love seeing who is pictured in each newsletter. (Be sure it is okay to photograph the students you include)

17. secondgradestar

secondgradestar New Member

Jun 29, 2011

I send a weekly Newsletter every Monday. On one side I list Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies and write a few sentences for each about the topics we will cover during the week. I also add "Other Classroom News" to let them know about parties, projects, tests, etc.

On the back of the newsletter is their weekly homework. I use a chart to show their homework for the entire week, and add the spelling words to the bottom on the chart.