weeklong economics projects using computers

Discussion in 'High School' started by obro, May 3, 2008.

1. obro

obro Rookie

May 3, 2008

I teach one class of 12th grade economics. My boss would like me to use the laptops the school just purchased for a class project. I am completely stumped. I have asked around and still have no clue what to do. I am supposed to meet with her to discuss it Monday and I dont want to go into the meeting with no clue.

Any Ideas?? It could be anything economics related that will last a week or so and use computers( internet, powerpoint etc....)

Thanks

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

What sorts of projects would you have them do anyway, without necessarily using the computers? I bet if you have a really great idea for a project, there's a way to incorporate use of technology.

What sorts of culminating econ projects have you done in the past? Could you do some sort of stock market thing where kids invest fake money, build portfolios, or whatever?

(I don't know enough about econ to give you any real ideas.)

4. obro

obro Rookie

May 3, 2008

Casse, thanks for your reply--I can't really do the stock market thing--I should have mentioned this in my first post--we actually played the stock market game earlier.
    I have never taught economics before-in fact i have never even taken an economics class before! My teaching it is a one time thing (supposedly) but I need a computer specific project that will last a week. I don't think what i normally do will cut it!

Any ideas for a desperate teacher who procrastinated way too long????

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

6. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 4, 2008

Two major economic problems - oil prices and credit markets - are currently threatening the U.S. Perhaps a review of the events leading up to the one of the problems and a comparison, or analysis, of different courses of action that the government might take.

Chasing the supply-demand questions of the oil problem might prove the most engaging as most of your students have to buy gas.