weekend in St. Louis

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by teach2004, Jun 23, 2005.

1. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jun 23, 2005

We are going to St. Louis July 2 & 3. We are going to see the Cardinals Sat. night and Sunday at 1:00. I am hoping to get in a little sight-seeing, shopping, or something else that's fun. Any suggestions? We will have 3 or 4 hours on Saturday, and a couple of hours Sunday morning. (By the way, we've already done the Arch thing.)

Also, any suggestions for reasonable hotels would be great. I don't know where anything is, so I am having trouble finding a hotel. We stayed in a hotel by the arch last time, and it was horrible! I wish I could remember the name of it. Anyway, thanks in advance for all of your suggestions. This is the most vacation that we can afford this summer, so we are trying to make the best of it. I do love to watch the Cardinals, though! :)

3. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Jun 23, 2005

Not sure if you have kids, but here are some ideas. The zoo is very nice and the Anheuser Busch brewery tour is kind of interesting & not too far away from downtown. Have you ever been to the Science Center? It's on I-64. It is so cool---if you have kids, I'd definitely take them there---I still like it as an adult too. The Galleria Mall is very nice with lots of nice stores, but don't think it's near downtown. Wish I could help you with hotels---there are several downtown within walking distance to the stadium, but I doubt if they are super affordable. I lived across the street from the arch for about a year while my husband was training for a job & we did almost every touristy thing imaginable while there. Oh, just remembered---they also have a big festival that takes place under the Arch around the 4th-that might be something to kill some time at.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 23, 2005

A few years ago my family took a vacation from Ohio to my sister's home in Kansas City. So, we stopped in St. Louis to do see some of the sites. It was around the 4th of July.

We also stayed in a nasty hotel. (I think it was a Ramada.) But, we did have an "Arch View" room which turned out to be fantastic! We watched the Air Show from our balacony and in the evening we saw one of the best fireworks shows I have ever seen! If I remember right, the Beach Boys were playing under the Arch. Raven, Black Eyed Peas, the Four Tops, Switchfoot,
    Ted Nugent, Oak Ridge Boys will headline this year - July 2, 3, and 4.

Check out www.fairstlouis.com Under "Information" they list several hotels that you can check.

Also, we went on the Budweiser tour. It was pretty good. Farther on down the road, we went to the Meramec Cave, which was interesting.

5. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jun 23, 2005

Thanks for the ideas! We don't have kids, but I still enjoy giong to the zoo and fun museums. I guess that's the teacher/child in me. :D

6. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 24, 2005

We were in St. Louis for a writing conference in 1999 and we went to the zoo, I thought it was beautiful!

7. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 28, 2005

I've been to St. Louis twice... both times stayed by the airport and traveled the Metro rather than driving. Once at the Radisson at the airport the other time at the Drury at the airport.
    If you travel the metro you can get just about anywhere fairly quickly and affordably. We hit Union Station mall.. which if you like shopping is nice.
    We did the arch thing both times.
    The zoo is awesome!
    We also went to an art museum... I don't remember what museum though! Aren't I horrible!

8. Mrs. Toby

Mrs. Toby Rookie

Jun 29, 2005

Don't forget that Fair St. Louis should be happening this weekend to celebrate July 4th! There should be lots to do within walking distance to Busch. Live music, air shows, shopping, and don't forget the fireworks at night over the muddy Mississippi. I loved going as a kid and wish I was going to be there this weekend, but the Air Force stuck us in Georgia!

9. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 29, 2005

I can't believe no one has mentioned the absolute best part about the St. Louis Zoo...it's completely free to get in!!! (unless you want to go to the bug hut and children's zoo, but these prices aren't too expensive either) It's a absolutely great zoo with tons of animals!!
    Baseball games are great too and downtown is very lively when a game is going on! Lots of things in walking distance.
    Also, I agree that getting a hotel a little away from the downtown area and taking the metro is great! We stayed in a hotel by the airport on New Years and it was super easy to get everywhere you needed to go and pretty affordable as well. (free on New Year's so I would look into the possibility that it may be free for the 4th of July night as well)
    Any way you look at it, you'll have a great time and never be out of things to do! St. Louis is a great city!