Wedding Talk!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2008

Let's randomly talk about anything that has to do w/ weddings, engagements, or honeymoons, good or bad, post 'em here! You can talk about the one you had, the one you want to have, etc.

I wish I was at least engaged right now. I'd like to get married in Hawaii & then stay a couple of wks for the honeymoon. A ceremony w/ just me, my fiance, & a few relatives is just fine w/ me. There was one point when I wanted a big wedding, but that's no longer a priority. I'd rather save all that money for the life I'll be sharing w/ my husband.

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Oct 17, 2008

I just got engaged 6 days ago!!! I'm so excited, we're getting married August 1st, 2009!!! I told my students the date today and one of the boys asked if he could be my dj. Not only did he ask, he seriously believes there is a good chance I will choose him. Haha!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2008

How exciting, congrats! Half (if not most) of the fun is planning the wedding! So, it's late summer, so do you know what colors your wedding & bridesmaids dresses will be?

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Oct 17, 2008

Congrats! I was married 27 years ago. To look back at our pictures, what were we thinking! The bridesmaids dresses were pretty but light blue tuxes. I must have been crazy. If I could do it again, I would have had an outdoor wedding. But we did get married in the Old Cathedral in St. Louis. Which was pretty. I have 2 children 23 and 21 and see no weddings in their future. My son thinks girls are a waste of money and the other one wants to go to nursing school.

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 17, 2008

I want a ring. I'm getting closer to the idea of engagement and marriage. The bf and I have been together for almost 3 years.

I'm a bridesmaid in one of my best friend's weddings next July. I'm actually going to Chicago this weekend with another friend and bridesmaid to help her with some stuff. It's so stressful and I'm not even the bride! I plan on learning through friends what to do and what not to do. The biggest kicked I realized... lose weight 6-7 months before the wedding because that's when you order the dress!

7. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

I'm going to a wedding this weekend in Santa Barbara. I can't wait to see how it all comes together since the bride was doing it all herself!! Of course there were lots of friends and family helping, however no planner and trying to keep costs down. I'll report back :)

peggy27 - light blue tuxes!! Fun!!

8. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

Alisha - Congrats on your engagement!!! And you never know about that DJ. The wedding this weekend has the bride's FedEx guy from work as their DJ!! :)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2008

I've only been to 3 weddings in my life & was a bridesmaid in one of them. It was out of state, so I md a vacation out of it & took my mom & aunt & we ended up going to another state as well. I didn't even attend the rehearsal, just the rehearsal dinner & just showed up on the big day. I had no idea who else was in the wedding. The bride was an old friend I've known since 8th gr who I managed to keep in touch w/ through the yrs.

10. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I had 7 bridesmaids, and they had on 7 different dresses. I just turned 31 when we got married, and my bridesmaids were the same (with the exception of my younger sister and older sister in law). I was not about to dress people in their 30s. I told them to get a black dress. Some spent $50, some spent $500. For the ceremony, their shoulders had to be covered (orthodox synagogue), so they wore black shawls. When they took them off, some had strapless, some with sleeves, some with spaghetti straps. I love the individuality in the pictures. They thanked me up and down for that too.

It will be 8 years in a few weeks!

Congrats, Alisha.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2008

First, congrats Alisha!!

My engagement was not what I expected (and not in the good way either). We had been together for about 2 years. We went looking for rings just to see what was out there and the cost. When we got our pell grant refunds, we took his and went and bought the ring we both liked, including the wedding band that he modified. He said not to think that I would be getting the ring anytime soon. Well that night, after I had taken a bath (we were renting a house that didn't have a shower) we were sitting on the couch watching TV and he pulls it out and asks if I wanted to marry him. I said yes of course, but really wish I had said not until you prepare a better engagement than that! (especially after hearing other stories!). Our wedding was great! My mom put a lot of hard work into it and I'm so thankful that she was able to be such a big part of it. I remember my brother did our wedding, it was his first, and he forgot to tell everyone to sit down! After the wedding, we took a carriage the short distance to the reception. Mom, my sister, friends, and I had spent the whole night before decorating the hall and it was beautiful! We had such a blast! When DH pulled the garter off, he pulled a huge size granny panies out of his pocket and showed everyone like that's what I was wearing!! It was HILARIOUS! We have yet to take a formal honeymoon, but we are planning one as soon as we can save enough to do it the way we want to and go where we both want to go!

We celebrated 6 years this August.

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 17, 2008

Well I am not dating anyone right now or like anyone that I know. I am a female though and we do think about this. I do know a few things that I want to happen as far as getting married: I want to get married at my home church, have the traditional reception and then go somewhere else for a small reception with close family and friends only where we can dance. I am not talking dirty dancing or anything, I want my sister to be my maid of honor and I want pink in my weeding as it is my favorite color. I do not want it to overshadow as to make my groom feel weird or people who hate pink to feel weird. I do not know what else.I have always wanted to go to Paris, France and if I did not spend a lot on the weeding could prob. go for my honey moon. Dang I sure do know a lot of what I want to not be anywhere near marriage!

13. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Oct 17, 2008

Thanks so much I haven't decided on colors yet, but I am thinking a fern green. I am going to try on dresses next weekend!

14. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Oct 17, 2008

STG, I told my husband that when he asked me to marry him, I would say no if it was on Xmas (even though we are Jewish), 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day...whatever! I wanted my own day.

We got engaged on December 23 ;)

15. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Oct 17, 2008

I told my fiance (still getting used to that word) the SAME thing haha! :lol:

16. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

I've been married just over six years and think I was blessed with a great wedding (minus the August heat in a non-air-conditioned church...the things I sacrifice so my husband's family could be comfortable...we picked their church since his mother is handicapped). My twin sister was married just three and a half months before us. My husband and I also waited a long time for our "official" honeymoon...five years. But we loved it once we finally went.

My brother just got engaged in August (on our 6-year anniversary). I love hearing about all of their planning. They are not getting married until May of 2010, but are already planning most of it (his fiance is back in school for nursing, so wants it ready before things get really busy).

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 17, 2008

My story ...

I had been living with my BF for 2 years. We had talked about "forever" but not about marriage, engagement, rings, etc.

I *thought* I might be getting an engagement ring for xmas, but I wasn't sure why. But then, a week before xmas by BF takes me to a sporting good store and gets me fitted for a kiyak for xmas. Ended up buying a small fishing boat instead that I can load in the back of my truck (an all time DREAM of mine!) So, with that expense I thought a ring was out of the question for that holiday.

But, guess what was in my stocking? A beUTIful ring.

Neither of us wanted a wedding. So, we went to the city hall and 30 seconds later we were married (we spent a grand total of $50 on the wedding). AWESOME!

For our honeymoon (just this past summer), we drove 19 hours north into Northern Ontario, caught a float plane, and flew to a private lake. We had the ONLY cabin on the lake. Complete isolation (we rented a satelite phone for emergencies ... no phones, no cell phones, no electricty ... nothing but bears and trees). The only human we saw besides each other was our float plane pilot the one time he flew out to bring us ice. It was soooooooooo amazing. We caught a ton of fish, too.

We were all but reserved for a Sandles Beach getaway. But, when I asked myself what my dream vacation was ... it was a flyin fishing trip in Canada. I didn't have a hard time selling that idea to my husband.

We've been married since June.

18. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I was engaged in June, and we're planning an August wedding. I'm sooo excited, and have been doing a lot of the details for the wedding myself and having a blast. I'm at the age now when all of my friends are getting engaged and married, so I get to share ideas with a lot of my girlfriends as well.

And, last weekend my fiance just surprised me and told me we'd be staying here for our honeymoon. I can't wait :)

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

You might want to order it way before 6 to 7 months. I ordered mine June 7th (yeah like over 13 months in advance) and it still has not come in. It has been 19 weeks since I ordered it. You want to leave time for if it comes back wrong, and time to alter it.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

For those getting married next summer, when you get new books are you writing your maiden name in them, not writing your name at all or writing you soon to be new name?

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

For those getting married next summer, when you get new books are you writing your maiden name in them, not writing your name at all or writing you soon to be new name?

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 17, 2008

Congrats to all of the newly engaged!

My boyfriend and I had been dating for years (HS sweethearts), and we were having dinner at his apartment one night. When I found out he was making fondue I got suspicious, because that was a big deal for him! We were in the living room talking, he proposed (on one knee!), and before I had a chance to scream "Yes", the fondue pot went up in flames. We invited the firemen to the wedding. We also got sued for damage to the apartment.

That was 26 happy years ago.

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

OH MY! Laughing so hard Missy. To funny. Glad no one was hurt.

24. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2008

Jaime, the book thing drives me nuts!
    I don't want to write his last name, that just seems to be asking for something terrible to happen!

But this semester is the first time I've been Miss Last Name instead of Miss First Name, and I HATE IT!! ummm...could you just go ahead and call me his last name?
    ;)

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

Danny I feel the same way so I'm just writing my last name. But was thinking maybe I should just wait and write nothing.

26. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 17, 2008

We got married on Sept. 11, 1983 so we recently celebrated our 25th anniversary. My dress was a vintage design. I had 5 bridesmaids and DH also had 5 groomsmen. My colors were dusty rose and burgandy, while the guys wore grey tuxes We were married at the methodist church on my college campus at 2:00 P.M. We had a basic cake and punch reception at the church and a party for family and friends later in the evening. We spent our wedding night in the house we had just bought. The next day we left for our honeymoon in Florida. A friend rented her condo to us for $100 for the week. We went to Disney World, Busch Gardens and Clearwater beach. Great memories!

27. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

My proposal story is hilarious. DH and I were together for over 4 years when we got engaged (college sweethearts). Anyway, we had looked at different ring designs online and we bounced ideas off of each other as to what we wanted in my engagement ring: emerald, asscher, or cushion cut center stone, white gold or platinum, no solitaire, I like pear-cut sidestones, but he doesn't, he likes heart-shaped sidestones, but I don't, yadda yadda yadda. One day he said that he was going to buy me a black heart-shaped diamond in a yellow gold setting... you know, for my little black heart. :p (I thought it'd be for the Pittsburgh Steelers-- our football team.)

Fast-forward to December 2005. We're in our hotel room in VA visiting his family for an early Christmas. We had gone for a walk because I wanted ice cream :)p), but no places were open. Since there was a huge Christmas light display up, we couldn't find access to the beach so we couldn't go for a walk on the beach. We get back to our hotel room, and DH tells me to go down to the lobby to look for ice cream since he thought he saw a sign. I was annoyed, but did so. I came back up and he wanted to sit out on the balcony (facing the beach). Then he says that he doesn't want to wait to exchange our Christmas gifts-- he wants to do it now. I say, "okay" and grab one of his gifts (we decided to save all but one of our Christmas gifts for Christmas morning; we'd bring one gift for the other with us to VA). He asks me if I want to open my gift now... I say, "No. I'll wait." He responds, "Too bad, I don't want to wait." and gets down on one knee. My jaw drops and my heart starts racing as he pulls out a ring box and opens it... Inside there was a yellow gold ring, with a large black heart shaped stone with peridot trillian-cut sidestones. I started laughing... as I'm laughing and staring at the ring, I missed him pulling out the real ring: an emerald cut center stone with 2 bagette sidestones on either side, in a white gold setting. Then he asks me, "Will you marry me?" In true lilmisses fashion I start going, "ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh..." and flapping my hands in front of my face. I almost forgot to say, "yes."

Turns out, he went to his friend's jewelry store and commissioned them to make the gag ring. When he sent me down to look for ice cream, he went through my purse looking for my cell phone so he could call my dad and ask for his blessing. (He wanted to ask my dad in person and show him the ring, but we lived 1.5 hours from each other and when he picked me up on the way to VA I didn't give him a chance to talk to my dad. Woops.) The original plan was for him to propose to me on the beach, but since we couldn't find access to the beach with the lights display he had to come up with something else.

We had a 10 month long engagement. Our wedding was on a beautiful fall day in PA (in my home church with my minister). The colors were claret (color my bridesmaids wore), with accents of autumn colors: burnt orange, golds, varying shades of red, wheat, etc. We used autumn leaves everywhere (because nothing screams "true love" like dead leaves): our invites, on our program covers, on our unity candle, in our bouquets and boutinieres (sp?), guests threw fake leaves as we exited the church. My gown had a lot of embroidery "scroll-like" detail on it that matched what was on our cake and our invites. The flowers were one of my favorite parts of my wedding; a friend of my MIL's is a florist and did my flowers. Of course, marrying my husband will always be the best! This past Tuesday (the 14th) was our second anniversary. :wub:

28. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

We got engaged in the hospital. My husband has cancer and we were in the hospital for pneumonia, darn immune system. We got engaged and less than a month later we were married. We have been married for a little over a year and it's been great!!

29. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Oct 17, 2008

My hubby and I had planned the big, fancy wedding... you know, the whole nine yards. We were engaged summer of '04 and planned the wedding for fall of '05. We were paying for our own wedding (because at the time, neither of our parents gave their blessing--thankfully this has MAJORLY changed) and had put all of the deposits down...the dress, the venue, the officiant, the dj, the caterer, the flowers, etc.

On September 3rd, a Friday night, we went to my best friend's wedding. It was way on the other side of town, so DH and I had gotten a hotel room near the wedding and had a big romantic spa weekend planned. After the wedding, we were driving home and got on the subject of our wedding and how ours would be different, etc. He asked me why we were having such a long engagement and waiting a year to get married, especially considering the wedding was all planned and could easily just be moved up. I told him that I wanted to wait the year mostly because it's what everyone else thought we should do. After some conversation, he goes "If we went to Vegas tonight, would you marry me?" Jokingly, I agreed. He asked if I meant that, and I laughed and said "Of course!"

He blew through an upcoming yellow light, basically running a red, doing about 60 in a 45mph zone. I asked what the heck he was doing, and he said "We have packing to do!" I just laughed and turned up the radio. When we got back to the hotel, he flew into the parking space and jumped out. I got out too, and he started running toward the elevator. Enjoying his goofiness, I followed, not thinking anything of his antics. But when we got up to our room, he started shoving things in our suitcases and packing up all of our things. I asked him what was going on, and his reply: "It's already almost midnight and it's a good 5 hours to Vegas from here!!"

We proceeded to check out of the hotel, and at this point, I think he's got something up his sleeve, but soon realized that we really were on the way to Vegas. He drove all night, and we got to the Little White Chapel a little before 5am. They gave us all of the paperwork and we went to the courthouse to get our marriage license (at 5:30am!!) and back to the Chapel. This entire time, I thought that ANY MINUTE he'd say he was just joking, but he never did.

We used my engagement ring (the wedding set is a family heirloom given to us by his grandmother and once belonging to his great grandmother... the engagement ring is a thin gold band with a pearl in the center and two diamond chips on either side; the wedding band is gold with 5 diamond chips) and bought him a $30 ring (that later turned his finger green! :lol: ), were witnessed by the chapel's customer service guy, and married by Reverend Robert Luck at 6:21 a.m.

What we didn't even THINK about was that it was Labor Day Weekend... every hotel in the city was booked except for one room at Circus Circus for almost $500/night, and after MUCH panicking and a billion 411 calls, we found one room at Sam's Town off the strip. Best hotel we've EVER stayed at in Vegas, and super cheap!!!!

Thankfully, we were able to get most of our deposits back (but not all). Our parents didn't speak to us for weeks. But it was the best decision I ever made in my life :) Last month we celebrated our 4th anniversary.

Oh, and on our first anniversary, I got him a proper wedding ring, LOL!

30. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

I'm sorry to hear your husband has cancer. It sounds like the two of you have an amazing relationship!! :)

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2008

Great stories everyone!

I wouldn't mind honeymooning in:

Hawaii
    Paris
    Tahiti
    Caribbean

and I'd definitely want to cruise rather than fly!

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2008

you may think that I am weird when I was a senior in high school, my sister got married with the big wedding which was lots and lots of work. this turned me off from weddings. I have been married twice and both of them have been spur of the moments. My now husband and I started dating in 1985, had two children, but we were never married. 17 years later after I was divorced and he had gone thru Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, he decided to give us a call to check on his children. We talked on the phone that night until 6:00 in the morning and just about every night after that. In the past, he was not the most faithful person and he had a history of drugs. He had a change of heart and he has always been the love of my life. We started dating in September and by March we were planning to get married on April 1. Many of my family and friends did not approve of this and I let them talk me out of marrying him in April. Later I realized that I was letting others make my decision. After that, almost daily he would say "you know you are going have to marry me." Well one Tuesday in June, we were talking about getting married and I told him if I get the license tomorrow then we can get married on Sunday. He said fine, but did not get excited until I told him that I had the marriage license. He said that I would not waste $25 dollars. We did tell our immediate family and a few close friends. His family has always loved me and they were very happy that we were back together. My family was another story; though, one of my sisters did come to the wedding. I had purchased a home in February of the same year and we had a small wedding in our home. It was wonderful and I love having him here. My family has sinced come around and all is well with us. He is the love of my life and he is a devoted husband. He does not go anywhere besides work unless we are together. We have the most wonderful relationship and I am happy with the decision that we made to get married.