Wedding Readings

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sue35, Jul 31, 2011.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Have any of you had, or been to a wedding that had, a reading from a children's book?

Because I am a (was) teacher I thought it would be sweet, and I really like the simplicity of the readings I have found. But it would be my mother who would be reading it, and I don't know if it would sound silly if she was reading something childish.

The readings I am thinking of are:
    The Velveteen Rabbit or Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.mnweddingminister.com/lighthearted.html

Or A Lovely Love Story
    http://www.itakeyou.co.uk/wedding-ideas/wedding-readings-poems/a-lovely-story.htm

Or I Like You
    http://www.itakeyou.co.uk/wedding-ideas/wedding-readings-poems/i-like-you.htm

Thoughts? Do you like any of these better? Or others?

3. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 31, 2011

I really like the dinosaur one.

4. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

I would ask your mom. Just like when a teacher reads a book, if she's not comfortable or "into it" the story will sound silly, but if she can sell it to the crowd it would be very sweet.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

She or someone can preface the reading with something about you being a teacher. Then it might make more sense to the guests. Otherwise, they might think it's odd. But other than that, I think it is a good idea.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

My mom had a reading from a children's book when she married my stepdad. They had a really secular wedding, so they had all kinds of interesting readings.

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

My wedding is also secular so that is why I am trying to get different types of readings. Something about the Velveteen Rabbit just gets me.

My mom has agreed to read anything but I know that she will talk about how silly it is behind my back (yes, we have issues, yes she is still doing a reading). But maybe it is too childish?

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

My mom's reading was from Winnie the Pooh, but I don't remember exactly which part. I remember it was really cute, and made everyone giggle and cry.

Her other readings were from the Dalai Lama, a Greatful Dead song, Bob Dylan, and I think Tennessee Williams, so it was a bit scattered.

9. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I thought about doing a reading of A Lovely Love Story at my wedding. It's really cute and different. We didn't end up doing any readings (in the end we didn't feel the need for one) but I still like the story. :)

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

Personally, I LOVE this. LOVE IT. If I was getting married, I would do this in a heartbeat