Wedding planning is starting to be not fun anymore...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, May 5, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

So, I've been working about 70 hours/week lately between my 2 jobs, plus my schedule has been completely booked with meetings at work (IEP season!). My wedding is less than 5 months away, and I suddenly feel like everything is creeping up on me. In the next 1-2 weeks we ABSOLUTELY MUST do the following:

-Send invitation ideas and wording to my fiance's cousin, so she can design the invitations.
    -Set up an appointment and meet with a tuxedo place.
    -Register for gifts (my shower is mid-June!).
    -Choose a place to get my hair and makeup done.
    -Choose a place for our rehearsal dinner.

:dizzy: I feel like I don't even have a minute to breathe lately. Have I mentioned that I haven't even VACUUMED my house in over a month (and I have 2 cats!). And don't even get me started on laundry. UGHHH life is so crazy lately.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 5, 2013

Focus on invitations and tuxs. Unless you are dying for something special, the gift registry isn't that big of a deal. Do it online. Call your favorite restaurant to see if they can work with you on the dinner. And ask friends for suggestions on hair and makeup...don't stress out. You need to enjoy this time. It will be easier when school is out.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to summer. It's all just too much right now!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2013

Well, when I'm hectic with work, I just take it one day at a time & accomplish so much. And no matter how busy I get, I always take breaks in between whatever I'm doing.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

I was doing a good job at balancing everything a few weeks ago, but the last few weeks have been just nuts.

I took a few hours to clean today, so I'm feeling a bit better about things now. That laundry is still waiting for me, though. :/

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 5, 2013

Deligate! Fiance should be taking care of Tux place and his family should be taking care of the rehearsal dinner. That's 2 things you should not be concerned about.

8. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 5, 2013

That's at the point I am at. Trying to nail down all of the serious stuff and it is getting stressful. I would like to wait until the school year is over to deal with it, but my fiance is trying to keep me from procrastinating.

I agree with delegating. Do you have a maid/matron of honor? Mine has been super helpful with doing research for me and giving me advice (I was her maid of honor just a couple of years ago, so all of her bridal advice is pretty fresh).

It's going to be okay and your wedding day will be magical! Don't let it stress you out too much. :)

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

I agree that you should delegate if you can...my husband wanted to do the tuxes, but he wanted my opinion...and I wanted them to match our dresses. We had groomsmen from across the US, so we went with a place that was national to make it easier. As for the invitations, I like the idea of asking the cousin...or you can google a few things and pick a wording you like. We used David's Bridal invitations, but first we (I) searched through a lot of designs to figure out what I liked.

The rehearsal dinner was something we had to do ourselves bc my mil couldn't afford anything but her dress. We would up doing it at the clubhouse where we live and we got lunch meat trays and made meatballs. It worked out well for us (but having it at a restaurant would've been less stressful!!).

I agree with looking at things online for your registry...then maybe take a few hours soon to check on your registries in store.

Good luck!!!

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone!

My MOH has been AMAZING at helping me. I even feel a little guilty. She called 5 different salons and got info for me. I just have to make up my darn mind already!

As for the rehearsal dinner, my fiance and I are taking care of it, so we really just need to make a decision. The problem is that we've only lived in the area for 4 years and we very rarely go out to eat. Other people aren't being very helpful, either, with suggestions.

I want to go with my fiance for tuxedos because I don't know exactly how I want them to look, and he is completely clueless. This is a guy who has gone clothes shopping ONE time since the 4 years we have been together. I made him buy a new pair of jeans, and it was our first fight...He hates shopping and gets SO crabby. So, I really need to be there.

We just need to sit down and look at invitation wording and registry stuff. He is really clueless, and actually hates the idea of registering for gifts because we "have everything already."

So, I'm pretty much having to take charge and just take care of all of these things!

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 5, 2013

For our rehearsal dinner we just picked the closest restaurant to the church since that's where the rehearsal was. It just seemed more convenient that way. We didn't want an elaborate dinner because we were going to have decadent food at the wedding the next day!

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

That's what I want, too. There is a bar that is close to the hotel where everyone is staying (and close to the highway for those who aren't), and they have a pretty yummy buffet option. I emailed them to try to reserve their private room. I want it to be casual.

13. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 6, 2013

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 6, 2013

Alright, I'm feeling a lot better today! After school I:

-Booked our hair and makeup place (signed a contract and everything!)
    -Made an appointment next Monday for tuxedos
    -Booked a rehearsal dinner place

Now we just need to register and work on those invitations. PHEW! :)

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 6, 2013

Those funds do seem like a good idea. However, our "honeymoon" is actually my friend's destination wedding in Jamaica, which is 6 months after our wedding. So, we'll probably just spend some of our wedding money on booking the trip.

The thing I do like about registering is that we REALLY do need "updated" things. We have college hand-me-downs of mismatched items that came from friends who are married and now have nice things. My fiance thinks these things are fine, and says that spending money on new plates, for example, is a huge waste of money. He makes a lot more money than I do, so if we're ever going to get nice things, the time is now! I'll never be able to convince him to spend money on them!

16. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

May 7, 2013

If I could do it all over again, I would have spent a LOT less time stressing about my registry. We did receive a few gifts from our registry, but the vast majority of our guests (I would say upwards of 80%) gifted us either cash or gift cards. I think it is nice to have a registry, so your guests have some options, but it's definitely not worth getting yourself stressed out over!

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 7, 2013

That is very good to know!

When I go to weddings, it seems like there aren't very many gifts. I do hope that we get mainly money. :)

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 7, 2013

You will most likely get the bulk of your registry items at your shower. Wedding gifts will probably be cash/check/gift card in a card (make sure you have a "gift table" though that has a decorated box for the envelopes). I did not receive any actual wrapped gifts for my wedding. I went to my friends wedding a few months after mine and she had a table full of gifts. It all depends on the guests I guess.

19. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 7, 2013

Pidgeon: My wedding is even closer than yours and believe me, I feel the crunch! A coworker good-naturedly asked me, "How's the wedding planning going?" and I practically bit his head off because I'm so stressed that when I'm at work, I don't even want to hear the word wedding.

I'm trying to write myself to do lists and each weekend I make a decision (ie: invite design, cake design, flowers, bridesmaids gift, etc) and I stick to it. The going back and forth is what will get you in trouble.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2013

I'm right there with you Pigeon. Working two jobs, crunch time on wedding plans, funds stretched already without adding deposits and payments and such. My two biggies were/are the photographer and dj. Both are booked pretty far out. We finally found a photographer we like. I have found a dj I like, but Sweets wants to see if a client could do it for a barter of services. We need to get this done or the other guy will be booked. And then all the other stuff (cake, invites, tuxes, etc.) will be tackled.

21. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 11, 2013

Register online that's what I did!