Wedding planning advice for teachers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by leighbball, Aug 13, 2008.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

I know several of you have recently gotten married or engaged...so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for planning a wedding on a teacher's schedule:) I'm trying to secure the church and narrow down the reception halls before school starts Sept. 2nd, but I know the bulk of the planning will occur during the school year. Any thoughts? :confused:

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2008

I didn't really have a hard time planning my wedding while teaching until the very end of the school year when the wedding was closer. It was hard finalizing everything when school only ended a week before my wedding. I ended up having to take a day off at the beginning of June so my husband and I could go apply for our marriage license. Other than that, though, my teaching schedule really didn't interfere with wedding planning...or vice versa!

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

I'm doing July so that I have time before and after the wedding without school.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

We're looking at August, and I'm hoping to have the church bookednext week and have the reception sites narrowed down before school starts. Its just going to be stressful since my df works evenings and we're only home together on weekends!

6. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

We're planning a mid-June wedding, about two weeks after school gets out. Hopefully that won't be too stressful! ;-)

7. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I'm getting married next August and I got a lot of the big things accomplished this summer. I think you're a South Jersey girl too leigh, so if you need any recommendations, let me know :)

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2008

I basically planned my wedding ONLY on weekends. Everything is open on weekends and I never was stressed after school running errands or making calls. My wedding was during the school year so I didn't have a huge amount of time to plan. Everything went smoothly and I was pretty much done planning 4 months before the wedding.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

My large wedding was in January.
    Most was done prior to school starting.
    As it approached, I did most on weekends.
    If you pick one evening to make calls,
    or buy supplies for decor, you will be more than fine.

My biggest advice to you is to enjoy the planning part...it is what you will recall about the details of your day.

Bset Wishes

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2008

Shoot for a date during a long break--either winter holidays or summer. You'll enjoy having a few days before the event to take care of last minute things, and you'll enjoy being able to spend time alone with your official new sweetie before you have to go back to school or take numerous personal days.

As for the actual planning, try to enlist the help of friends and family members, especially if they live in the town where you're getting married. If they're willing (and usually there's at least one person who's really gung-ho about helping!), send them to take photos of different venues and flowers and things to help narrow down the number of things that you'll need to look at.

Use the internet a lot! I recommend signing up at http://www.theknot.com . It's a free wedding-planning site and it has lots of great articles, calendars, pre-made to do lists, and links to vendors. I got SO MANY ideas from that site--it was really amazing.

11. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I was in grad school when I got married, so I planned my wedding on a "school schedule." I got married in June.

By September: venue was booked

Christmas vacation: all "big" vendors (photographer, cake, florist, limo) were booked including deposits made. Also purchased my wedding gown and decided on bridesmaids dresses at this point. Yes, it was a busy busy week.

Spring break: I completed all the little details: shoes, hair & makeup trials, hotel reservations, save the dates & invitations (I made my own, so had no time restriction), bathroom baskets, jewelry, favors, pew decorations, etc.

The few weeks before my wedding: all I had to do was make placecards & seating chart.
    :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 14, 2008

If you're planning an August wedding, you should be fine. Like I said, things didn't get hectic for me until the very end of the school year because our last day was June 20th and my wedding was June 27th! There were days during that last week that I needed to call vendors back to confirm with them (my DJ called 3 times one day and the latest I could call my priest was 4pm) so I spent my entire lunch break on a few days on the phone. With a wedding in August, though, you could wait until after school gets out to send your invitations and you wouldn't have to worry about all of the last minute things until well into summer vacation.

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I'm getting married at the end of June and planning my wedding long-distance - don't be afraid to delegate to your mom, maid of honor, bridesmaids, etc.! I agree with using theknot.com - they have message boards for brides from every state so you will find a lot of local help there and can get reviews for vendors so you get an idea of who is worth checking out and who isn't. That's how I found my photographer. Good luck to you!!

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2008

Thanks for all of the advice guys! :) I signed up on theknot.com...it really is a wonderful site!!!

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 14, 2008

Theknot is great! I booked my photographer and florist based on reviews from girls on my local message board.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2008

That's one part I didn't look at yet, but I'm so glad you girls mentioned that...I can't wait to look at it when I get home from working on my classroom:D

17. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 14, 2008

Ahh yes the knot is even more addictive than this board!

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2008

The Knot/The Nest is actually how I found out about A to Z! I used to really like it on the boards over there, but they grew too catty/snarky/mean so I stopped going. I've been here ever since!

:)

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2008

For me personally, I don't really like the weather in the summer (way too hot & sweltering), so I wouldn't want a summer wedding. Any other season would be nice for me, so I guess I'll just have to take off from school for a while. However, I may wait till the summer to have a long honeymoon.

20. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

I got engaged last august right before school got started and we got married during Christmas break. It was beautiful! I was also taking a grad class and it was my first year at the school I was teaching at.

I was either studying, writing lessons, or planning the wedding. I even took two weeks off of wedding planning because I wasn't enjoying it. That stressed my mom out when she realized I was doing NOTHING wedding related. I need a break. I enlisted my family and friends to help. We made all of the invites ourselves and I designed them. We spent two full days one weekend working assembly line style and got them all done. I picked my dress at the first store we went to and the first night we looked. My bridesmaids picked their dresses that night too. I got the name of a florist from a friend and she was too reasonable to shop, so we used her. The hardest thing believe it or not, was scheduling bridal showers!!! lol, if that's the biggest problem, fine! Enjoy it, don't let it be a chore, you will be totally fine. Remember, the wedding is an event, the marriage is the most important part so don't get too caught up in the details.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 14, 2008

oooh, some of the boards are awful!! Luckily the three that I go to (Boston, RI, and June 2008) are all great.