Wedding during first year of teaching?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by SarahElizabeth6, Aug 14, 2006.

1. SarahElizabeth6

SarahElizabeth6 New Member

Aug 14, 2006

I'm considering getting married (in October, 2007) during the first year that I'm eligible to teach. I obviously don't know if I'll have a full-time job, or a subbing job at that time. My question is, if I am lucky enough to land a regular position, would I be able to get about 2 weeks off for a honeymoon? :confused:

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Hmmm...I'm not sure about this. I personally would make sure to be upfront in the interview though. Congratulations!!

4. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Aug 14, 2006

i am getting married in nov. and am going to go away for the wkend but wait until c-mas break for a real honeymoon...
    at my private school i can only take 9 personal days a school year and i didnt want to use them all on a honeymoon....also if i were to take off the day before/after a holiday even just for one day i would use 2 of my personal days as those days are the most requested for time off....
    im not sure but i would def. be upfront w/the school about your plans so they know what you are wanting to do...
    amanda

5. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

i got married last september. it was my 6th year of teaching but my first year in this district. in the interview when they asked why i was moving here, i said my fiance got a job here blah blah blah. they never asked about the wedding. i got the job and signed my contract ect. and then told her i was getting married in september (exactly 1 month after school started). I actually took my husband with me "to meet her" (i thought it would make it harder for her to say no if he was sitting there too). anyway, i asked for the friday before off and the week after. got it - no problem

we''ve been married 11 months now - too bad i can't ask for another week off for a second honeymoon! haha

6. MissB

MissB Companion

Aug 15, 2006

Honestly, you probably wouldn't even want to leave your class for two weeks with a sub, so early in the year. I wouldn't take the time off- Like someone previously suggested, You could wait until the Holiday Break to honeymoon.
    Congratulations on your engagement!!

7. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

I just got engaged last month and am too afraid to get married during this year. I devote my time entirily too much to projects, and right now I am completely engrossed with planning for my first year teaching, I can't see myself planning for a wedding also. My fiance understands, but I know that he wants to get married real soon. We also might be building a house next year, and that will be another project on the list! I asked if the summer of 2008 is too far away for him and he said that's okay. But I'm rethinking for next summer. If I do that, do you guys think it will be okay to start planning over winter break?

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 15, 2006

When I was engaged I planned the wedding for after school was out, June bride here. But looking back, I wish I would have put my life ahead of my class. I would have loved a winter wedding and put the honeymoon off until a long break.

But oh well, 7 years in and maybe I'll have my renewal of vows someday in the winter??

9. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

I guess its hard to put my life before my class because I have just graduated from college and right now teaching is my life! I'm not in a huge rush to get married unless we have a home of our own. So I think I'm going to wait for that first.

10. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Aug 15, 2006

I got married during my first year of teaching, I took a total of 6 days off. I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving my class for any longer than that. I took 3 days before the wedding since I had family flying in and 3 days after we had a short honeymoon and planned for a perfect first vacation which was wonderful. Good Luck!

11. hbickell

hbickell Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Don't worry, be happy!

I got married during student teaching, while also in graduate school. I know how stressful this can be. But, I just went for it. I didn't take a two week vacation though. I took only one week. I had to make up graduate school work, but my principal and master teacher were really supportive and happy for me. Don't worry so much. Besides, nothing is definite for fall yet anyway, so just go for it and cross that bridge when you get to it.:love:

12. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

My fiance and I got engaged last December (2005) and we are getting married this Saturday. :eek: I found that my busiest times were right away (finding the reception hall), then doing invitations (June-ish), and then making the programs and things (July). It was nice to have a little time off in the summer to do the final things for the wedding.

If you want to plan in the winter, I would still find your reception hall right away. We had a hard time finding a place that would hold both of our large families.

13. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

SarahElizabeth6,

I probably would not ask for 2 weeks off. I think that would be stressful on you and may not look the best in a new school.

Like a few others have suggested, I would take a few days to relax and then plan the big honeymoon later. Since I only have a week between my wedding and our first day of school, we are going away for 3 days and then planning on taking a trip either this winter or next. I know it wouldn't be very relaxing for me to be gone for the week before school, but it would probably be worse during the school year.

14. Musica

Musica Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

This sort of reminds me of the situation my cooperating teacher last semester had. Her and her husband were engaged during her senior year of college (he graduated the year before). They got married in July or so.

Not only did her inlaws pay for their honeymoon to Disney World, and schedule it in the middle of November, but then they were going along too!! Her and her husband were pretty upset because they had told his parents a) this is her first job and b) as a teacher you can't just take 2 weeks off. Anyways, they still didn't get it. Luckily, my coop knew the superintendent pretty well as she went to school with his daughters and they were able to make it work.... didn't really help though that her inlaws were with them for the whole deal, unfortunately, lol...

15. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Eeek I don't know how I'd handle that situation! My parents just bought a timeshare in Orlando and want me to use it for our honeymoon but we want to go somewhere far away... probably outside of the U.S. borders. Lol, I'm trying to be polite, but going to Disneyworld in the middle of the summer with all of the tourists is not my ideal honeymoon. November seems to be a better time, but still its not my number one choice.

16. hewilley21

hewilley21 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

We were told not to get married our first year of teaching in our methods. I know by experience that I don't think that I would want to put my self under that much stress of working as a first year teacher and planning a wedding. It would be WAY to much change for me!! I think I would hold off if I were you. Thats what I did you can wait until the summer to have the wedding. I think it would be in your best interest to wait. I said we have been together for 7 years whats a couple more months :)

17. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

I'm getting married in December!!

My fiance and I got engaged last June. I graduated in December and got a long term subbing job. I starting plan in June and I have EVERYTHING ready to go before my first "real" teaching job begins in two weeks! We are getting married December 16th. I am taking 3 days off and we are not going on our honeymoon until June! A long time to wait but I figure it gives us one more thing to look forward to.

It is a lot of work but if you plan well ahead of time it is possible! Good Luck with whatever you decide!:love:

18. DZH494

DZH494 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

This is my first year teaching, and I am getting married in December. I have been planning for my wedding since December of last year. Everything is ready for my wedding. If you have time to plan now you may be able to get married during your first year teaching. I am not taking any days off from work to get married. We are getting married on December the 9th (a weekend), and taking a cruise on December 29th-January 2 to the Bahamas. We can take a longer trip in the summer.

19. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 20, 2006

so i have the same prob. i'm gettng married this oct. i've been waiting for this for 3 yrs!!! so i need to get married or i'll explode. i dont have a job yet but on the off chance i do, i should tell themat the interview? my uncle has alreasy planned our honeymoon for the week after.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

Congratulations!!

If you're locked into October, could you plan a long weekend over the Columbus Day break, and then a longer honeymoon over Christmas??

As a teacher who married a teacher, we settled on a July date-- it just seemed to make the most sense for us!

21. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

I'm getting married December 16th too!! We have Christmas vacation right after our wedding (within a few days), but on a teacher's salary, we can't afford much of a honeymoon anyways, so thats all the more reason not to take one.:( We will take a belated honeymoon in June probably, so that is always an option.

22. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Aug 31, 2006

First of all, congratulations!!!

I got married my first year of teaching. Looking back, I'm not sure how I did it all. I probably wasn't the greatest teacher, but I did my best. It came down to prioritizing. I usually spent the weekdays doing school stuff and limiting how late I stayed at the school, and I spent the weekends doing wedding stuff (with a lot of help from friends and family). I hired a wedding planner, which helped, too, because she took care of the catering, cake, my bouquet, and decorations for the hall. There were some things, like my bridal pictures and dress fitting that I had to do after-school, but I just worked those in. Also, my then-fiance came to the school after work so we could spend some time together and to help me out a bit.

I should probably also tell you that I developed an ulcer that year, and I fainted from lack of sleep in my classroom one day. Just make sure you have a way to relieve yourself of stress.

We got married over Christmas break and took a short honeymoon. Then, we won a vacation to Hawaii through a local radio station and took our trip near our one-year anniversary. It was great!! I was always advised to take a short honeymoon after your wedding and not to spend a lot of money because you're trying to get to know each other as a married couple. Then, after you've adjusted (a year or so later) to take a longer, more expensive trip. I loved it that way! We enjoyed each other's company in Hawaii but also got to see the tourist sights. It was fun to reminisce (sp?) a year later, and we had a bit more money saved up. We took the trip in January, and I was able to get a week off because I had established a great rapport with my principal a year and 1/2 later.

Good luck! And enjoy this time together!

23. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 1, 2006

The first thing to do would be to contact your "potential" district and ask what is built in to the teachers' contracts for "time-off". We get 15 days of sick leave, 3 days of emergency leave, and 2 personal days. We can only ever carry over 2 days of personal leave for a total of 4 days. So, we would never be able to take 2 weeks off unless it was "without pay". And even then, we would need prior approval for it. Personally, I would plan my wedding around a long weekend/vacation so as to not "rock the boat" especially with it being your first year. Take a mini honeymoon right away and a longer one in the upcoming years.

24. MissENJ

MissENJ Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

I wouldn't do it, even as a veteran teacher. We get 1 day for our wedding (built into the contract) and 2 personal days. We also get 10 sick days, but I wouldn't want to use them all up on my honeymoon. I am getting married in 3 years (we want a big wedding and he is still in school so we need time to save), and although I will be tenured by then, I still wouldn't ask for a 2 week honeymoon. I think your best bet is to go on a weekend vacation and then schedule the honeymoon for summer break.

25. ChristianJock

ChristianJock Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

I agree that you should get married when you want but wait to take the Honeymoon later. It gives you more time and also lets tyou plan better ahead for the Honeymoon and to save a little bit of money to spend on it.