Websites similar Google Classroom...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by onetwothreeteach, Sep 13, 2016.

1. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Hello all,
    I am looking for a website that is a mix between Google Classroom, Blackboard/D2L (Desire2Learn). So essentially, a LMS (Learning Management System). I want to run as much as I can of my course online, but am having little difficulty in finding a website that is exactly what I want.

I had been messing around with NEO, but in order to customize everything the way that I was hoping to (which was essentially just to keep the kiddos safe online) would cost a whopping $600 a year. No thank you!

So what are some free/cheaper (I am willing to pay a bit) websites you have found success with in creating a hybrid classroom?

Thank you in advance.

3. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Schoology. My school studied several LMS's before we settled on this one. Stick with the free version - the paid version isn't really worth it.

4. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Sep 14, 2016

A popular open-source site would be Moodle. Moodle is used in a lot of universities and can be very powerful. Our school used Moodle years ago, but since moved on to Haiku Learning, which was acquired by PowerSchool. Check out EdModo too. Found this presentation that may help you!

5. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Sep 16, 2016

Out of curiosity - what doesn't work for you with Google Classroom? Having used Blackboard and D2L both as a student and as a teacher, I have found GC does all the same things and works just as well.

6. onetwothreeteach

onetwothreeteach Rookie

Sep 16, 2016

I am not a fan of how it is "pretty simple" in the fact everything is uploaded to the news feed and that is about it.

What I like about D2L and the like, is that, you can have modules, quizzes, forums and so forth.

7. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Sep 30, 2016

Hi PallasAthena, I'm sorry I took so long to respond. As for Edmodo, I used it, when they first started, for a couple of months when we were looking for LMS tools a few years ago. We do not use it, but I do know some schools are loving it! I cannot say how it now, but i do hear good things.

Yet, Google Classroom is now in the picture and it seems they are going to make the full move of being the LMS to use sooner or later. Please see this article on Edsurge