Websites (not apps) for iPads?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Nov 4, 2012.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Nov 4, 2012

My school has a set of 30 iPads for our elementary students, and I'm starting to use them in math, but I also want to get my kids using them for reading as well.

To make a long story short, we can't download apps at this time, so I'm trying to find good, easy-to-navigate websites for my students to use on the iPads. The only problem is is that a good amount of the websites I'd like them on use Flash which, if you have used iPads before, is a no-no as far as Apple is concerned.

Aside from XtraMath.org, do you know of any good websites for third graders to use on an iPad in reading or math? Many thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

What's the point of having iPads if you can't have apps?

4. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Nov 5, 2012

That's not the point here. Without getting into a long story, we will have a computer to sync all the iPads and apps, but it hasn't arrived yet. Not sure when it's going to either. Not the most convenient, I know, but this is the situation we are in right now.

So back to my question...

5. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Nov 6, 2012

I would do some research and/or webquests for now. So if you're reading a non-fiction story on China, have the students research using kid-friendly websites 5 facts about China for example.

Scootpad is a website I've used, but I can't remember if we login on the website or through an app.

Tumblebooks has online books (I login through my local library's link), BigUniverse (district subscribes to this), WeGiveBooks (great free site, but not all books are compatible on Ipad)