Website Questions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 27, 2013.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 27, 2013

I want to revamp my website for next year. I had a wiki this year and it worked okay. I mostly just used it for putting up the daily agenda and homework. I'd like to find more ways to use it this year, especially for blogging.

So my questions:

1. What do you recommend that's free and easy to navigate? I'm not opposed to using a wiki again. I just want to make sure it's my best option.

2. What else do you have on your website that you find is good for the students and parents?

3. Do you recommend having separate websites for each course or using one? I have some kids who are siblings so I could see it being nice for parents to find everything in one place. However, I also think it would look cleaner if I had a different one for each course.

TIA!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2013

Weebly is extremely easy to use and would allow you to create subpages for each class.

4. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jun 27, 2013

Pay for shared hosting. It's cheap.

Get a domain linked to your name or class ($10 per year) and run the site with Wordpress.org. It will look much more professional that a aaa.weebly.com site.

This will also give you a lot more room to grow and even monetize the site in the future once you get some good content up.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 28, 2013

I'm not interested in paying at this time. I'm not worried about the professional aspect. I used wiki this year and received very positive feedback.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2013

Weebly.

I link my GoogleCalendar for the course. I have a few GoogleForms that students use a lot in my class, they can get to them via the website.

I have 1 website, the side bar has the list of courses I teach. So, the homepage is general welcoming info. Then, students click on the course name in the sidebar and go on from there.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 1, 2013

I use WordPress, which is very userfriendly. However there is the free version which is on Wordpress.com, and the also free version but you have to find your own hosting and domain, at Wordpress.org.

Both are pretty much the same software, but the .org installation has a lot more functionality, while the .com version is extremely easy to use and requires almost no set-up, but less fully functioned.

Whichever one you choose you will have a nice looking website. If you want to see examples of both, please PM me.

Anyway, for my class website, I have my class calendar which it pulls straight from my Google Calendar, so it gets auto updated when I change things. I have all assignments I do since I digitally created all of my materials. I simply have a link to a public Google Docs folder and every time I assign a new assignment, I simply drag it into that folder (organized by week for me).

Those are the major draws of my site. I also have a Twitter feed on it which I used to update about my Donors Choose project and tried to update for homework but just didn't keep it up. I have my planning mindmap that outlines the entire year's learning objectives. I have the syllabus and other important documents like permissions slips, etc.

And what I mostly do is to instruct students to visit it when we're in the computer lab and to use it as the portal for whatever we're doing for that day. For instance, if we're going to do the Kinetic and Potential Energy Roller Coaster game, I create a new blog post with the link, and instructions. Really simple to update. Requires almost no technical expertise period.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2013

I am trying out Google sites this year. I went with Weebly last year but really want to give it a go on Google sites. It´s not so user friendly though.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2013

1. I'm not sure about this one because mine is provided by my school.

2. I'm in music, but I put up due dates for applications, practice music for my after school groups, pictures from performances, and reminders about concerts and rehearsals.

3. I would do one website with different tabs/pages for each class. I actually ended up doing a blog this year, but I did set up a website at the beginning of the year. The first page was just for my music classes and about me, but I had tabs for each of my music ensembles that you could access from the main page.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 1, 2013

I use teacherweb.com but am curious about weebly (never have heard of it before now).

Would anybody happen to be willing to share example weebly sites?

Thanks!

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 1, 2013

I've also just learned about Edcanvas which seems like a great site for putting together things like webquests and presenting digital lessons.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 2, 2013

When it comes to putting together individual web pages, I am a huge fan of KompoZer. You make it look pretty and it translates it to HTML for you. It isn't fancy, but it's free, and then you can upload your work.

13. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

I have used a few things: wordpress, classjump, and Google sites. I love using Google sites - it is so easy, free, and you can customize the site in endless ways. That is the one I recommend now to anyone who asks me. :) That said, I have not used some of the ones that have been mentioned by other posters.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

I'm torn between google sites and weebly... I started playing with weebly today. We're going to use google drive next year so google sites is probably the way to go...

15. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

I use weebly for my personal website/digital portfolio and love it!
    I plan to use that for my class website as well, with a blog on it.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

I use Weebly and have found it quite easy to use. Google Sites is also popular among my colleagues.