Website hosting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tgim, Jul 5, 2012.

1. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 5, 2012

I posted this on the Elementary forum, but thought there would be someone here on General Ed who might be able to help.

With MobileMe gone, my iWeb created grade-level website is now defunct without a hosting site. I am searching for a new host - but don't want to reinvent my entire site. I also don't have funds to spend on a paid host - but will if that is the best solution. I have several pages on the site, and like to post links to study guides and documents that students and parents use. I also have a links page and a photo-sharing page.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2012

If it's most important not to have to pay anything, you could shift to a blog format, perhaps on something like Edublogs.

If it's most important to keep using iWeb, I'm not aware of no-cost options (though someone else may be), but there are certainly hosts that won't cost the average user more per year than a MobileMe subscription and might cost less. If you've got iWeb 3 or later, it's incredibly easy to upload your site from within iWeb; if you have an earlier version, you save your site to a folder (I usually saved each update to its own dated folder) and you'll need an FTP client (=app that lets you upload), but it's not hard, and I can recommend Cyberduck for that.

In taking an iWeb site elsewhere, you will lose some functionality: no password protection, no comments on blogs, no site counter, and there are a couple of other things. That might make something like Edublogs a better choice for you.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

I use Blogger for my classroom and LOVE it. It is so easy to use and update and it's free. I feel like my families access it more because the current info goes on top and they can get email updates through their RSS feed. My website for teachers is set up through there too Check it out to see how you can customize it to look like a regular website: www.CFClassroom.com

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 5, 2012

Thank you - this is on my weekend list!

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

If you need a cheap hosting - www.apisnetworks.com is good, you'd only need the basic package, it's $30 a year

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2012

bros, how do you know about apisnetworks?

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 7, 2012

It's a hosting site i've used in the past for personal projects and a lot of individuals I know online host rather large sites with them (and have for over 5 years) with barely any issues. However, I no longer use them as the projects I need hosting for have outgrown what apisnetworks can offer.

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2012

I had to rebuild my entire site after Microsoft closed OfficeLive back in April. I ended up going with Google Sites for my hosting. While it isn't as pretty as OL was it is far more functional (and completely free.)

It integrates seamlessly with all the other google tools like calendar, docs, maps, etc. in a way that makes it near-perfect for collaboration. You can allow others to comment on various pages (and not on others) to add interaction. Links and embedding docs is a breeze. I'm quite happy with the change.

10. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 7, 2012

Hi Rockguykev, with a google site can students, etc. see your email address?

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

Not sure what you mean exactly. I have set up a contact module (which takes about 3 seconds) that allows them to send me email directly from the site. It doesn't give them my email until I respond.

12. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 9, 2012

Okay, that's what I meant - I wanted to know, if I set up a google site, will students be able to see my Google ID (which I wouldn't want). TY :)