Website/blog

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SueHue, Jul 7, 2011.

1. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Jul 7, 2011

I want to either start a blog or a website. Mostly, the reasons are selfish! I just think it will be easier for me to keep organized if I do so. It will be sort of a reference for me to post my units, books I use for the units, photos, worksheet attachments, links to other people's ideas, etc. What I'm wondering, since I'm inexperienced, is it better to do a blog or a website? Which is easier?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2011

Wow, I never thought of that. What a way to stay organized:thumb:-you could just pull up the site anywhere and see your plans, etc. Hmmm.

I think either is just as easy. I think it's much easier to upload files/pics on my website through weebly than my blog through blogspot--but there may be better options out there that others could lead you to. Since that's your main purpose you just want to be sure there uploads aren't limited.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 7, 2011

I've been wanting to start one too. But I never thought about it to keep me organized...great idea!!!:) I wouldn't have to carry my flash drive everywhere!!! I'm anxious to see what others recommend.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

Kinder, do you have the free version on weebly or do you pay for the pro one? I just started using weebly and I'm wondering what the pros are for paying for it.

To the OP, I think either are just fine. :)

6. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

I do a blog! Way easier to keep updated than a website. I have a blog through blogspot.com, which is totally free and is user friendly (which is what I needed!! :))

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

I have to have a website, per my P. I use google for my site.

8. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

I blog for the same reasons you are mentioning. I've tried a site and blogging and I feel like the blog has been much easier and convenient for me, personally. Feel free to check out my blog and ask any questions you might have. Just click on my link in my signature. It's totally free and I can access it from school and home. There are tons of great Kdg. blogs out there with great resources, too!

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 17, 2011

I like blogspot. I do our school's site on googlesites. It has a lot of templates on there. I have a lot of interactive websites bookmarked on there and some "notebooks" for smartboards on there.

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 17, 2011

Blog away baby! :) Blogs are also a wonderful way to reflect on your teaching, the kids, and share some amazing stories with the world. :D

11. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 19, 2011

I have both - but I am not the best at keeping up with a blog. I have my personal school site through webs.com and my blog through edublogs. (again, nothing there right now)

We can do our site and our blog through out schools site (through schoolfusion) but I am not a fan of that. I do my basics and then use my site for other things. I prefer the editor on my site.

I am maintaining the kindergarten site for our school, so that will be fun this year!

However, what a GREAT idea to keep plans online! I do all my plans on the computer anyway, for me its easier, and my thought this year was that I could re-use them and just do some tweaking... too bad I switched grades!

12. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

This does look like fun! 3 questions:
    1. Can you keep a blog private?
    2. Do you get permission for the kids' pictures to be posted? I'm not sure if my school will let me do a blog...
    3. Do you also still do a weekly newletter, or just tell parents to check the blog?

13. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 4, 2011

For me, I keep a daily blog of things we've done for the day. I especially discuss the book we've discussed and give some guiding questions they can ask at home. This next school year I am going to try to post more pictures. But our district does a media policy notice at the beginning of the year so I just make sure I have only the ones who are allowed in the pictures.
    I am not sure if it is private, I guess you could but I am not sure?