Weathr Theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Butterfly4, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

Anyone have some weather, wind, rainbow, or any other weather related activities or crafs that you like to do? Need lots of help!!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 1, 2008

We are are in the middle of doing a weather unit. I can't think of anything right now...brain freeze. I'm posting so it will save my spot so I can come back and maybe offer some ideas later when my brain thaws out.

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

We made rainbows with fruit loops. We did a rain graph(each child gets a rain drop and we graph them according to how it makes us feel happy sad scared etc) I gave them precut clouds, rain and lightening bolts and they glued them on to paper to make a thunderstorm. we took 2 2-liter bottles filled with water to make tornado's. im in florida so we talked alot about hurricanes. we made cloud shapes. They used stencils(or drew on their own) any thing they want, and then glued cotton balls on to make them clouds.

thats all i can think of now. sorry if its jumbled, its 1am! :)

5. BrandiDawn

BrandiDawn New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Well durring our cirle time we have a weather helper that goes out and checks the weather and then we sing a song about what the weather is like. It is on the doctor jean cd the kids really enjoy this song and it helps then spell as well

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2008

We did the precut stuff but we put it on sentence strips to make a headband.

7. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

Here are lots of ideas (I'm assuming your kids are in the 3-5 range, and this have all been tested with that age group):

-Rainbow in a jar. Kids LOVE this! It works especially well in a room with few windows. You'll need a glass jar, a flashlight, water, and a mirror that fits IN the jar. Turn off all your lights and put down the curtains if you have them. Go to the darkest spot in your room and gather all the children together. Fill the jar with water and put the mirror inside it, and then let the children practice shining the flashlight on the mirror (I let my kids experiment, but typically some kind of 45 degree angle works the best... let them figure that out though!) The rainbow will appear on the wall opposite of the mirror... this is exactly how rainbows are formed in the sky, by sunlight shining through rain drops.

-Sunlight prints. This is a little expensive but worth the extra money. Go to your local photography store and ask for sunlight paper. Get enough so each child has 1 sheet (I use small 5x7 sheets). The paper comes in a black bag DON'T remove it until its time! You'll also need some kind of holder... a tray, an old photo frame, even lids from plastic containers will work. Anything that the kids can carry that's big enough to hold the paper. Then have the kids collect objects... nature ones come on great, but they can use beads, pennies, small blocks, etc. Give each child a holder and a paper, have them arrange their objects to their liking, and then take them outside in the sun. It only takes about 2-3 minutes and then come back inside. The children will need to dip their paper in water to make it permenant, but the results are awesome!

-Rain experiment. Great for younger ones! You'll need a few different sized sponges (I just get 2 big ones and cut them to my liking), water, a pitcher the kids can manage, a large bowl. Explain to the kids that it rains when the clouds get to full of water. I have my older kids guess which sponge "cloud" will rain first, and we chart our hypothesis. Hold each sponge above the bowl but not to high that the child can't reach it. Then have them take turns slowly pouring the water onto the sponge. This is great concentration practice too! Anyway, after a few minutes, the sponges will start to drip... if the kid pours faster, it'll rain. For additional science fun, have the kids weigh the sponges when they're dry and when they're completely soaked, and subtract the difference. Kids will be amazed at how much water can stay in a "cloud"!

-Simulated thunderstorm. Great for older kids, young ones may need a little assistance. Gather the children in a circle and explain to them they are going to make a thunderstorm with their bodies. You start in the middle of the circle facing 1 child. Tell the kids when you get to them to start copying whatever it is your doing. Start with rubbing your hands together. Then when you've got all the kids doing that, start snapping your fingers. The next step is patting your thighs, and lastly, stomping your feet. Then reverse the order. With my class, we tried in about 4 times before we got it down, but the kids loved it! It's a great transitional activity.

I hope this gives you some good ideas! Let me know if you want more, I have a ton! :)

8. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

You can do sun prints with dark coloured construction paper -put objects on the paper then place in the sun. After an hour or more the sun will fade the paper which is not covered by any objects. We have done a group rainbow with all the children's handprints painted different colours. We also do 'wind' pictures by blowing diluted paint with straws. I also do a cloud picture (which I got from a website but can't remember which one). The children drizzle glue onto blue construction paper cut out as cloud shape, then drag a cotton ball which is held with a clothes peg. As they drag the cotton ball some of the cotton comes off onto the cloud. We then sprinkled baby powder onto the picture. We also decorate boot or umbrella shapes with pieces of shiny paper which simulates raindrops. We are starting our weather unit at the end of the month.
    Kerry

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

Keep it simple. Your children are little. Talk about the wind. Make kites.
    Talk about the rain. Paint large raindrops blue and hang then from your ceiling.
    Talk about clouds. Give the children large pieces of white paper and tell them to tear them into a cloud shape. Hang them from the ceiling.
    Talk about storms. Play "stormy music," Brahms, Schubert, etc.
    Have them paint while listening to the stormy music. Display it on your wall, "A STORMY DAY," By Ms.----class.

10. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Mar 3, 2008

Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas!!