weather

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

We never get snow day here, no fair! ...Wait a minute, we never get snow here...:rolleyes: Oh, if it snowed I bet it would be a week off...yeah, yeah, we don't have cleaning snow machines, it would be chaos! :eek: But might as well face it: it will never snow here:( ...This is the time of the year where I envy the ones that live in the Northeast.

2. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Rosie west side of the state!!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Carmen,
    We call the cleaning snow machines, snow plows in Maine.:D

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Ha ha, I had to laugh too Carmen when you called them cleaning snow machines:).

5. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

Thanks for the info Jaime. (what's a plow?)
    We call it "limpa-neve" in Portugal.:cool:
    Off to school...

6. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

I translated! haha Glad I made someone laugh!:D
    Got to run...

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Jaime, don't forget snowblowers or snow throwers as some people call them!!! My dad has one for his big John Deere tractor it's fun to watch!!!

8. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2005

DizneeTeachR you get way more than we do on the west side of the state. Lucky you!!!! Do you get lots of snow days a year?

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 9, 2005

It's a snow day for the schools down here. My whole county is closed. We really didn't get too much snow - maybe 4 to 6 inches. But, the wind was blowing so strong that it was blowing the snow all over the roads after the snow plows have run through.

My husband had the day off. So, we both slept in. Then he got up and ran the snowblower over the driveway and sidewalk. That woke me up, so I lounged around for a while. Then I got my bathroom sparkling clean and then took a shower. Right now, I have two pumpkin pies in the oven. They are almost done. My husband should be home anytime from Cincinnati - had to pick our son up from the University there. He will be home with us for the rest of the month!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Rosie...our school district usually does becuz LOTS of backroads...talking dirt not knowing where side & road end!!!

Yup, that darn lake makes us get the snow!!!

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Oh Jaime, yes, we call them snowblowers too. That's the usual name for them around here. Never heard anyone call it a snow thrower though, that one's new to me:).

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

OH Jen! I didn't post that Diz did. I call them snow blowers.
    What do you call snowmobiles? Most people call them sleds around here.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2005

I'm still laughing at Carmens "cleaning snow machines". Too cute. I'm picturing a machine that you throw dirty snow into and out comes clean snow. Funny, it looks a lot like a snow blower.

We call them snowmobiles Jamie. Sleds are made out of wood, or plastic here. Trash can lids are great sleds. So are those plastic cutting boards.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 9, 2005

When we were kids on the farm, we would use the big silver corn scoops for sleds.

By the way, my husband thinks it's funny when I say "scoop" instead of shovel.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

snowmobiles or sleds in my area. and a sled is also something we use to fly down a hill on.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 9, 2005

The weather here today has been NUTS! It was snowing pretty hard this morning, but school wasn't cancelled because it was in the forcast that it was going to change over to rain. It snowed until about 10:30 and then rained until 2, then changed back to snow. When I left work at 2:30 it was basically "white out" conditions and the roads were all ice. It normally takes me 20 minutes to get home, but today it took me 90!! It was insane. My boyfriend ended up being sent home early from work because it was so bad out. The snow has slowed down, but I've been without power for an hour and half already. My house is getting cold, and I'm not sure what I'm doing for dinner. I think my boyfriend may go get pizza. What a day!

17. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

We got 13 inches of snow!!! All schools closed in this area. Roads are bad, feel sorry for people who had to go out. I had wanted to go to the store too, but hubby called and said cars were going off the road so stayed in and baked and wrapped presents.

18. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2005

13 inches!!!!! I want a storm like that. I should have stayed in and wrapped but I decided to go out shopping!

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Oops! I guess I'm starting my vacation a little early mentally!

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Well, I'm a little late getting on here, but hi whoever is still up! I want 13 inches of snow!!! Wow that would be fun. We are supposed to get a whole inch tonight/tomorrow, whoopdeedo! Carmen you are funny..snow cleaners, is that what you said??? I wonder if my friend from Spain knows what they are called! I will have to ask her next time we talk.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 9, 2005

We only ended up with about 3 inches of snow, but the roads are a mess because of all the slush that is now frozen solid. It's only about 25 degrees out now, so everything is ice. We were without power for about 6 hours, but I can sleep soundly in my nice warm house now that we have heat again!

22. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 10, 2005

That is tough being without heat in these temperatures! We got tired of it and bought a generator. It is on a dolly, we pull it out of the garage, plug it in and viola! It was a good investment.

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

Oh man I have a lot of catching up posts to write. I think I"ll try to hit all the points in this one.
    First Beth how did you get on the computer with out power? Do you have a generator or something?

I also, call the thing you slide down a hill on a sled. OH and caferteria trays work wonderfully.

By the time it was all over we had about 15 inches. It's melting now because it's so warm and sunny out. Go figure. I wanted it to stay cold so the snow would build up better. Oh well.
    I'm going to take a picture to show to my mother who an hour away only got about 4 to 6 inches.

Well we are going to Christmas at my mom's house. So I probably should get going.

24. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 10, 2005

Have fun Jaime!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

Guess who I'm waiting on! I'll give you all one guess. I bet kinders will get it right off the bat.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2005

Tell Steve to get his *## in gear!!!!!!!

27. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 10, 2005

I knew the answer too!!!!!

28. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 10, 2005

I had some battery power left on my laptop. :) Didn't last long, though.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

Oh Beth I didn't think of that! Cool.

Kinders and Carmen you both were right! We left at 12:15. And actually were in time because my mom forgot to tell me dinner was rescheduled for 4:30 or something.

30. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 10, 2005

So you're back home again Jaime?
    Dinner at my mom's is about to start. Family's already here.
    Mom stuffed and roasted a turkey (first time she did it).I made two traditional desserts: they look yummy! :p
    Okay, so today it was sunny and not too cold...:rolleyes:

31. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 12, 2005

Hello Beth, so how's the weather over there today? Here same as yesterday...Had a good start in your day?

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 12, 2005

We might even have outside recess today! Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!
    I'm so, I mean the kids are so ready for it.

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2005

Today we finally got to go outside and play in the snow!!! The kids had a blast. Took us 15 minutes to get ready to go outside, but it was worth it...hopefully they'll sleep good:). I'm crossing my fingers!

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2005

Jen..beautiful here...sunny, bu cold. They are saying Wed. nite our next chance at significant snow!!!

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2005

We must have a good 6-8 inches on the ground. It has snowed every day this weekend, including Friday. It's not too chilly though. It's cold, but it's not bad if you bundle up enough, and it's not windy and the sun is out.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2005

Jen, we aren't getting much in the way of snow...but the flurries made it look so pretty outside today. I took the day off to try and catch my breath...which means I wrapped all my Secret Santa gifts for the week, did Christmas cards, some outside decorating and the forever pile of laundry. I am leaving shortly to do errands...stamps and stuff...every once in awhile I take a Monday off and it is so worth it. I have to get ready for our class Christmas program this week(it is Friday) so this will be a frantic week...then Saturday is our staff party and of course I will want the baby this weekend!!!!!

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2005

So that's why you're visiting us so early today:)! Hope your day is going well.

You can have some of our snow. It wont seem to stop. Although, at least the sun is....was....out.

38. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2005

I had recess duty today and even though it was chilly the sun was out and the kids were having a blast. We are expecting another snowstorm Wednesday night into Thursday. I have so much going on this week I don't know if I want another snow day. Well....I'll take it if it comes my way but I would rather we get them after Christmas!

39. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 12, 2005

We're planning to have outside recess for the rest of the week! I'm so excited. Our big state visit is tomorrow and the kids need that time to get the energy out of them.

40. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 12, 2005

We may get more snow the end of the week!