weather

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Nov 27, 2005.

1. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 8, 2005

We are currently under a heavy snow warning. It is just barely starting to snow right now. By morning we could have about six inches of the white stuff.

2. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 8, 2005

NO SNOW HERE! I want Snow! I want snow! this isn't fair. I really want to ski over break.
    BLAH.
    Beth do you have snow yet?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005

Awe, you can have some of ours Jaime! We have plenty to spare.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2005

They are calling for 6-10 tonight. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a snow day. My district has many back roads where the busses have to go so there is a chance.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 8, 2005

8 to 12 inches here. I wish it would hurry up lol.
    Kinders empty your PM box.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005

oh, ok..........I didn't know it was full!! Sheesh, that doesn't take long!!!

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2005

jaime, I cleaned some out for you!!! LOL!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

NO school no school no school. I have no school. Yippie I'm going to make the two pies for tomorrow. I wanted to go to the pet store, the grocery store and Lenn Libby's the chocolate store but I think that isn't going to work out. Maybe tomorrow before I head to my mom's for the Christmas Party. KINDERS you need to change your saying. I don't dare to write x-mas now. And everytime I do I have to go back and change it lol.

9. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

Jaime, you lucky gal!
    We have a Christmas dinner party at my mother's tomorrow, as well! I'll make 2 desserts and 2 cakes...still deciding the cakes I'll bake!
    wow, concerning the weather things don't look great over there...I've just seen the news.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Jaime, does it feel like you're in school yourself again waiting to find out if school will be closed? I always loved snow days...just relaxing and vegging out. In adulthood I'm not sure it's really like that anymore:(.

We got 3 more inches, but I doubt schools are closed or delayed. The snow landed early enough for the roads to be plowed. However, as always I'm at home anyway...I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a good snow day myself;).

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Yes it's great Paula woke me up to tell me it was canceled. All of southern Maine is canceled. I'm a little annoyed because I wanted to go to a couple stores.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Wow, that's a lot of things closed! I don't think we've ever experienced it that bad. Usually things are delayed, but almost always there is something open like gas stations, grocery stores, Walmart, etc. Everyone is always afraid of losing money instead of losing their lives.

Have a great day home Jaime. I'm sure I'll see you around today while I'm in and out...I only have 3 kids, and it's Friday, so I call today my lazy day...get cleaning done, let the kids play a lot, etc.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2005

We're sitting at 3* right now. Now precipitation in the forcast. We've got a little ice in spots from Wednesday's 1/2 snow storm. ;)

Did anyone watch the news last night about the SouthWest flight in Chicago that slid off the runway? Slid into an intersection hit one parked car and one car on the road. Last I heard one of the 3 children in the car died. Still no word on the other person in the car that was injured.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 9, 2005

No school for me either,we have a couple of inches right now and still snowing. I was praying for a snow day. I needed a mental health day. I also think I am getting sick so I am happy I am home for the day to lounge around.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

More than 275 schools closed here!!! We were upgraded to heavy snow warning last nite!!! With whatwas on our deck & yesterdays we have between 14-15 inches!!!

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

OH MY Diz! You must have gotten ALL of our leftovers from yesturday!

17. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

Yes, I saw it on the news...They said a child died an 10 persons were injured.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2005

10! Last night they said that no one on the plane was injured, and out of the 6 people in the car only 2 were injured. One was in critical condition and 1 was in serious condition (not sure the difference between the two-any nurses out there?). One of them was a child who died. This is so sad, but not the airlines fault.

19. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

I think they said 10, but now I'm not sure...

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2005

Still, it could be by now. You really never know if some are legitimate or not. It's sad how many people like to fake injuries when they think money could be involved.

21. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Dec 9, 2005

Really? Geez, didn't know that!
    Today's a sunny day over here and it's not too cold.

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2005

I'll have to make a point to watch the news later.

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Sorry for the confusion Jen. When I said all of Southern Maine was closed I meant the schools not stores and stuff. We have 6 inches now. It started snowing at 7am (or around there). It's coming down hard now.
    I was a ding dong and decided to go to the pet store, grocery store, walmart and Len Libby's the chocolate store.
    I couldn't see out my windshield because it kept melting and freezing . And the wipers didn't wipe it off.
    Anyway I'm going to go bake the two pies for tomorrow.
    Oh and I forgot to get the stamps I wanted!
    Oh well.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Diz where do you live?

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Jaime ..Michigan

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Oh I knew that. Sorry I never can remember lol. I must be getting old.

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

No big deal!!! Unfortunately, I had Xmas lights on the deck & never ran an extension cord to them, so I can't enjoy the lighted snow!!!

My mom said she heard more snow for us over the weekend 6-10 inches. Jaime you want to ski you'll have to come here. We have 2 ski places less than 30 minutes from the house!!!

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

RosieO..wondering how much snow you have now!!!

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Actually Diz, I live right near the mts. Sunday River is about 40 mins from my mom's house. I can go ski there but don't want to spend the money. I usually go to Shawnee Peak 20 mins from mom's. I go spend Friday night at my mother's house and ski the weekends. She gets free tickets so I don't pay for anything.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Ok Jaime, thanks for the clarification! I had this whole big thing rigged up in my head! I guess I shouldn't have assumed.

And what a nut you are for going out in that weather! Glad you made it back safe:).

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Jaime,
    Nothing can beat that price. One of the local ski places has tubing...I didn't do it, but we had a friend get the fam in for free!!!

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Oh...snow tubing is so much fun! I'm waiting til the temp gets a little above 25-30 so I can take Tanner to one of our local schools. It's nestled on a huge hill with a tabogan run and sledding areas. Lots of work climbing up, but so much fun to go down! I'm thinking Christmas break will be a great time to go there.

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 9, 2005

Oh I go sledding at my grandmother's house. Just me and Mya lol. Sarah is told old now. So I build little jumps and stuff. yeah I'm still a kid.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Jen, my neighbors have a GREAT hill for sledding, but hate the climb. Every year when we were a lot younger we would ask him to rig so sort of pull rope from the bottom!!! Never did though. You know half way through you stop get a little snow to nibble on, then move on!!!

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Ah yes, snow nibbling! My son discovered this last week outside. He was thirsty, so he decided to eat the snow. At least it was new snow...not yellow.

36. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2005

NO SCHOOL!!!!! I went shopping and got a little cleaning done. My own kids were so mad because they are in a different district than I am and they had to go. Our district has a lot of back roads. I think we only got about 5 inches but MANY districts were off. DizneeTeachR are you north or south of Detroit. Seems like you got a lot more than we did.

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

Welcome to the A to Z snow day forums!!!

38. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2005

I don't have a snow day, but my kids are all alseep...wait, make that half of them are asleep...my son is up now, but he's going to Grandma's pretty soon:).

39. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2005

It's great to be part of the Snow Day Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet Kinder will be jealous!

40. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 9, 2005

I'm jealous! I just don't see why we didn't get yesterday off. :( :( Pout, pout, pout :( :( I mean, 1/2 inch has got to count somewhere. ;)