Weather

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2005

I am beginning to plan a unit on weather that I will be teaching in a 4th grade class that I will be taking over for a maternity leave position in December. I did some weather lessons during my student teaching in a 4th grade, and I have the curriculum guide, but as I've stated in previous posts, I really want the kids to enjoy my time there and I'm hoping to impress the administration enough to be offered a permanent position for next year (they already know of 2 openings!). Some of the ideas that I have are:
    -Water cycle in a baggie
    -Water in a cup (shows that air has mass even though we can't see it)
    -Tornado in a bottle
    There are plenty of other ideas in the curriculum guide, but this is as far as I've gotten as of now.
    Does anyone have any ideas for hands-on activities that you like to do when teaching weather? Thanks in advance!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2005

We did a water cycle wheel. Evaporation we used the individual chalk boards and had them write their name and asked what happened to their name. We filled a plastic container with water and made a mark on the plastic and put it in the room and made observations for a week.

To show air has mass we handed out plastic baggies to each child and had them "catch" air and zip the bag close!!!

If I think of something else I'll let you know.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 4, 2005

Did you have them weigh the bags before and after?

5. Cindy

Cindy Companion

Nov 4, 2005

What is the water cycle in a baggie?

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2005

Water cycle in a baggie is when you put water into a plastic baggie (like ziploc) and tape it in a window. The kids can watch the water evaporate and cause condensation and then drip back down the bag back into the water (precipitation). It's not complicated at all. I'll have the students predict what is going to happen and then keep a journal of what's going on over a few days. The only problem I had the first time I did it (during student teaching) was that we had them up in the greenhouse, not the classroom, and 2 days later when we went to check on them a few of them had fallen from the window so kids had to look at someone else's bag to record results.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 4, 2005

A quick model that works well is a fairly full plastic bottle that's been frozen or at least deeply chilled: people can feel the cooler air around the bottle, the ring of water that collects at the bottom illustrates runoff, and then the ring evaporates...

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 4, 2005

We used popsicles, weighed them, thawed them (I have a microwave in my room), then weighed the liquid to show that water doesn't lose mass when it changes states.
    When I did my weather unit in 4th we always built models of weather tools (barometer, hygrometer, anemometer, weather vane, and rain guage).