Weather Unit

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by taraes1982, Sep 1, 2008.

1. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I'm going to do a Weather Unit soon and I need some ideas. There are a lot of good ideas on the internet, but it takes so long to sift through all of them, I thought I would ask you what you're favorite lessons are. I teach 2nd grade, but I can modify lesson ideas. I'm thinking of teaching a lesson on, clouds, types of precipitation, temperature, and wind, however lessons/ideas on anything weather related are welcome.

In a Nutshell: What are you favorite weather lessons?

3. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

Water cycle....perhaps...

I'm not sure if this is too hard for your kiddies....but I just posted this on another thread... I found it on a message board along the way...

Water Cycle in a Bag experiment

Give each student a gallon sized ziploc bag (I used the ones with the zipper because it was easier, but either kind work). Give each child a water cycle picture (it should fill up an 8 1/2 x 11 page and be landscape)...mine has a lake and land on the bottom, clouds and a sun on top and a few raindrops coming down in the middle. Label each picture (evaporation, condensation, precipitation and run-off). Have students trace the picture onto their bags with a black sharpie. Put a small scoop of sand (about a cup) into each bag. Put a capful of water into the bag. Let students scrunch the bag to get the sand wet, then spread it over the bottom of the bag. Zip the bag, until there is about an inch left. Have students blow into the bag to fill with air. Zip it the rest of the way. Tape the bags to a window. Within 24 hours (usually a lot less) you will be able to see the water condensing at the top of the bag and then running down the sides (precipitation). Leave them in the window and they will continue the cycle over and over.

Also... a cute song to go along with it:

(Sang to the tune of She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain)
    Water travels in a cycle, yes it does
    (use pointer finger to make a big circle)
    Water travels in a cycle, yes it does
    (repeat finger circle)
    It goes up as evaporation
    (moves hands up to the sky
    Forms clouds as condensation
    (make a cloud overhead with arms)
    Then comes down as precipitation, yes it does!
    (sprinkle with fingers while bringing arms down in front of you)

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2008

Tornado in a Bottle

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 2, 2008

Song: I am SO sorry, I don't know what tune it goes to!!!! Maybe someone else knows the name of it.

Evaporation, Condensation, Precipitation
    on my mind
    they are part of the water cycle
    and it happens all the time

We do motions-Evap-hands go up, condensation, hands come together above head to make a cloud, precip-rain down (like in itsy bitsy)
    on my mind-point to head
    they are part of...-make a circle with hand and keep making it.

Show evaporation in a cup-put water out and mark on the cup where it comes to. Check after a day or two to see how much has evaporated.

Make a water cycle bracelet with pony beads and pipe cleaners.

Put in this order-blue then yellow (evaporation from sun shining on the bodies of water), white or irredescent (condensation-clouds forming), green (precipitation falls to the ground). They put on the pipe cleaner, twist to make a circle then see how the beads go around the circle. Can do the song and move he beads around while singing.