Wearing Jean skirt to work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Maithal, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2007

Our school:
    Women: shirt/blouse with a sleeve, skirts to the knee, dress pants only if worn with a blazer.

Men: Jacket and tie, dress pants (no outer seams) dress shoes (polishable), dress socks..

2. Reb0028

Reb0028 Rookie

Apr 8, 2007

WE can only wear jeans on paydays but we can wear a denim skirt any day. I have, and I am a new teacher to the school. But I think it depends on your principal. I think you should ask some other teachers that have been there longer than you.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

We can never wear jeans, but I think we could wear denim skirts. Very few people wear skirts anyway.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

What are no outer seams?

5. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Apr 8, 2007

I have 2 jean skirts that I wear all the time at work. There is no real dress code for teachers in our district though. I hear this will be changing next year as they begin to put a new student dress code into effect.

6. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Apr 8, 2007

Iron?

Who needs an iron in this day and age of wrinkle resistant and perminent press. nothing like nanoflex technology with dupont stain blocker...

I like the dress shirt idea. Ties and blazers for the meet the teacher night... count me in.

7. Zhang

Zhang Rookie

Apr 8, 2007

This whole thing is really silly. I mean, When did clothes become a part of a teachers ability to provide good education and understanding?

I wear Levis everyday and so do most of the teachers here.
    To think that the students get less from you by the way you dress is ridiculous

I always say..."The clothes don't make the man,(or woman)...the man, (or woman) makes the clothes."

Just my thought

8. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Apr 8, 2007

I would leave jean skirts to jeans day. Denim material is very casual looking, so if your school restricts jeans, then it probably would restrict jean skirts as well.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2007

Take a pair of jeans. You can see an obvious bump where the seam is.

Now take a pair of dress pants, as from a suit. You can see that two pieces of material are sewn together, but can't see the folded material that represents the seam. (THat's my definition, not the school's.)

So no Jeans, dockers, Khakis...

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2007

Maithal, you're new in the building. Why not just ask a female administrator?

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2007

Some of the teachers here wear jean skirts. They are usually long and dark in color. Jeans we can only wear on fridays and we have to pay $2 towards a charity (March of Dimes). I would reccomend asking another teacher. Of course we have the odd one or two who are different. We have a belly dancer (yep...) who wears whatever she can be poured into and then we have one who looks like she stepped out of a magazine every single day...

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 9, 2007

We're allowed to wear whatever, as long as it's decent and doesn't go against the student dress code. Our principal doesn't care if we need to wear jeans. Not a problem. I've never seen anyone in my building take advantage of this. We all know what we should and shouldn't wear.

I say try wearing your skirt. I don't think it will be a problem.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2007

The kids must have their shirts tucked in and a belt if there are belt loops on their chosen uniform bottom half (girls and boys). Teachers don't have any rules about these things. I always wear my top out over my slacks. I hate when a kid asks, "Why don't you have to be in dress code?" Though I want to say, "None of your darn business you little pipsqueak," I always say, "We have a different dress code than the student one." Sheesh.