Wearing Jean skirt to work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Maithal, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Apr 7, 2007

Hi All!
    I just bought a jean skirt today that I love! It goes a little bit past my knees. I'm wondering if you think it's acceptable to wear to work?

Our school doesn't allow jeans unless it's jean day (we pay $ for that) so I wonder if it would acceptable to wear a jean skirt (since it's fancier than jeans.

What do you all think?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 7, 2007

It's not allowed in our school. I think it is a little silly.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 7, 2007

It would not be a problem at my school, but most people wear jeans every Friday.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2007

Which is silly, jean skirts or your schools rule?

If it goes past your knees, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Really, I've seen worse on teachers. One teacher wore a really low cut dress to school. Another one wore a really short skirt. OY. You skirt sounds fine. Actually, I've been trying to find a nice jean skirt. Where did you buy yours? :D

6. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Apr 7, 2007

i wear jean skirts on "jean days" (fridays)

it really depends on your principal. mine is in a full suit every day and expects us to dress "professionally" as well, so we don't push it beyond friday. :)

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 7, 2007

I agree with Ashley it depends on the principal. I ripped my jean skirt a few yrs ago. I haven't been able to find one I like since.
    :(

8. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Apr 7, 2007

Peachyness, I got my jean skirt at Kohls. I bought another one online through Kohls, but it ended up being too short so I'm going to return it. This one fits so perfectly and I'm short and on the petite side so I have a hard time finding things that fit. I got mine in junior section (not sure if that makes a difference to you).

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 7, 2007

We can wear blue jean skirts and dresses any day, but blue jean pants only on Friday.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 7, 2007

We have jean day on Friday but teachers wear jean skirts through out the week at my school.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 7, 2007

I meant that I think our school rule for no jean skirt is silly. We aren't a full suit and tie type school so I think banning it just because it is denim material is a little silly sometimes especially if it is tasteful. I don't own one so it's personally no skin off my nose anyways.

What's interesting is any pants that "looks" like jeans is banned. So there was so much confusion one year about what that meant because many of the items they were pointing out weren't even jean material (we all know jean material even if it is a different color). So they said anything that has metal round trivet by the pocket is banned. So any pants that has the exact same material but not the metal thing is okay. I also notice that if my shirt is the untucked kind, nobody notices. I have one pants that is carpenter style and clearly jeans material but is a different color. I got shocked suprises when I wore it on paying for jeans priviledge fundraising day. They didn't call that jeans. I showed my trivets and they were ahhh...you can't see it because of your shirt. Most of my pants are either slacks or docker style pants.

We work in Elementary and I haven't noticed anybody dressing provocative. I do think sometimes we wished we didn't wear slacks though because kids ruin them so easily with their hands and glue and stuff. I do agree on no jeans most of the time though because I've been to a school that allowed that everyday and they got more and more casual to a point where it wasn't professional. I also agree with HAVING a dress code (even if I don't always agree with what's in it..and for the record it's not that big of a deal to me with the way it stands now). The dorms don't have a dress code and I notice sweats and slouch stuff. So unfortunately people do need to be told how to dress.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 7, 2007

WHy are my posts always so dang long?!

13. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Apr 7, 2007

My principal is very laid back. He does wear suits sometimes, but I don't think he'd comment on someone wearing a jean skirt (esp if it's not a low cut one), but I want to see what other thought.

Thanks, keep the posts coming with your take on this.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 7, 2007

I have a first grade teacher who has admitted to gaining wait since her move to Georgia but has not updated her wardrobe. Her clothes are therefore 2 sizes too small. Her skirts are therefore shorter (mid thigh) and she usually wears stiletos (sp?). She has even worn fishnets. I was talking to her one day when she wore her fishnets and I couldn't make myself look at her eyes; I was totally focused on her fishnets :rolleyes: . She pretty much looks like she is going to a club.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 7, 2007

Personally I'd say wear the skirt and bring a backup outfit. :)

Proud2Be, I lost weight and sometimes I have to wear things too big. Not the same thing though.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 7, 2007

I bet you don't have parents complaining to the principal about what you are wearing though ;) .

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 7, 2007

Nope. Not even with the fake jeans. I'm not the trendiest person but I feel more comfortable in slacks than I do jeans anyways and always have. In fact in high school I didn't wear dress slacks but I never wore tennis shoes either. No I wear tennis shoes to protect my feet but I'm not a fan of wearing blue jeans...too restrictive.

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 7, 2007

A jeans skirt would be dressed up at my school! Track suits are common, as are jeans, cords, whatever you like.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2007

I would rather see a woman in a jean skirt than a pair of tight pants or the low rise pants that are waaaaaay too revealing when they bend over.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 7, 2007

I am with you Grammy Teacher. I have seen way too many cracks and panties at school when teachers sit down.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 7, 2007

Denim dresses and skirts are fine any time at my school. We have 2 teachers that are Pentecost and they tend to only wear their blue jean dresses/skirts when we can wear jeans. Just to be fair, they say. :) We can wear colored denim at any time, though. (It doesn't make sense, but since I love getting to wear my colored denim, I don't question it! :D)

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 8, 2007

In my school we can only wear jeans on field trips and on Friday's. However if I could find a jean skirt that isnt so short I would wear it during the week. I don't think it would be a problem at my school.

I am 27 and sometimes have a hard time finding clothes.It is either too young or too old looking for me.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2007

I have the exact same problem. I usually find things at the GAP, Old Navy, or Target that is just right, but it's rare.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2007

It seems to me that if jeans are against the dress code, a denim skirt might be as well.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2007

I have a lot of luck at Kohls.

26. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 8, 2007

I have three different denim skirts--I wear them all the time for tutoring and observations. When I'm back in my classroom, I'll wear them all the time. I love them.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 8, 2007

Kohls is a better fit for me too.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2007

Where I work, there are 3 teachers who seem to think the only color on the planet is grey. So drab and boring day after day and they are very young!

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

Those teachers just need to wear a longer shirt. I can't stand pants that come near my belly button. I can't wear them it drives me nuts.

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

Hey Cut, I just checked out all my pants the only ones that have those little metal things on them besides the jeans is my cords. I guess those metal things aren't that common any more.

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 8, 2007

Maybe on your side of the planet. Sometimes I struggle to find it without the trivets. Really I struggle to find pants that fit a big butt and trim waist without having to worry about a shiny tiny peice of metal.

32. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2007

I would wear it- Although I would partner it with a nice top and nice shoes so that it isn't a dressed way down look. I love my jean skirt and they can look very nice as long as you dress them up a bit.

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

Hey I'm on the same side as you are! I just live in Scaryville. But I shop at Gap or Old Navy. Mostly gap now. I got some great deals there a couple weeks ago. I have the little waist to. All the pants are to big most of the time in my waist so I just wear a belt. Oh and if they do fit in the waist they are too SHORT!

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

All of you with small waists, just shut up, please.

35. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

At my preschool, the policy is that BLUE jeans can only be worn on payday Fridays, field trips (with a school shirt), or other specified days (the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas, for example). Other colors of denim are OK (although most of us don't wear them, either), but we can only wear BLUE jeans on payday. So pretty much this winter I wore my khaki's or cords every single day. I need to find something else to wear when it warms up. ;) Very few of us wear skirts at all, except for one of our toddler teachers, who's Muslim and wears her head scarf with long skirts every day. Even in a jeans skirt, she's more dressed up than many of the rest of the staff look on a daily basis. ;) Usually, though, she saves her blue denim ones for payday so she "matches"

36. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 8, 2007

LMBO! We are talking portions here. My butt, no matter what the size of my body is will always be big compared to my waist. So when I find pants, they are meant for smaller hips/butts so I have to buy bigger waist then it gaps in the back and slides down because it isn't meant to compensate a bigger butt. Drives me crazy. Umm...not all of us are straight either with butts or waist.

Recently I've discovered that I can buy the size smaller (to fit my waist) and have it fit my hips if I buy the stretch jeans. :)

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

I'd still rather thave that problem than the opposite one! LOL

38. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Apr 8, 2007

I was thinking about this same thing last week when I had a denim skirt in my hands at JC Penney. I am still a student, but when we do our field work we are to dress professionally. I had a Liz and Co. denim skirt that was kind of like an A- line cut, so not fitted, and came just past my knees. The only thing was it was a light wash, I think it would have looked a little dressier if it was a dark wash, so I didn't get it. Plus I thought it made me look a little too pear shaped.... LOL.

39. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 8, 2007

I've got about 4-5 jean skirts and I wear them all the time! They're probably my biggest weakness, which is why I have 4-5 of them! They all come to about my knees. It's absolutely fine at my school, but we're also allowed to wear jeans whenever we want to. Personally, I don't like that, I think it would be nice if we looked a little more professional, so I wear actual jeans mostly only on Fridays. The skirts though, every day sometimes!

40. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Apr 8, 2007

I'm glad that mens wardrobe is simple. Too much decision making on if "I can wear it at school" makes me glad to be able to wear my golf shirt and kakis.

41. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 8, 2007

My school will be having a dress code next year and some of our teachers want to nix golf shirts. I am sorry I won't be there to hear all of the guys complaining about having to iron a shirt everyday :D .