Weaning kids from recess dependency

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 28, 2015

So, going on maternity leave in the fall, coming back in February. Am planning on pumping during recess and lunch.

My concern (which hopefully is shooting far too ahead) is about four students of mine who struggle with getting out to recess and staying there. Two I'm pretty sure just want to sit in the class and chat with each other and play--these two will get passes from the paras to come in for a drink/bathroom... and then try to get into my classroom. One kid is autistic (high-functioning with all of 2 mild accommodations) who is fixated with books and likes to pop in during the middle of recess to switch books. One legitimately struggles with learning and social schools (with her past teachers and the counselor also noting she often play the helpless card on top of everything) and every so often has been coming in for comfort. There's a smattering of others who will try to come in now and then, but those are my four big offenders.

I'd like to get those four really prepped on going out to recess and staying out there so I can pump (the school at this time just doesn't have a separate place other than the individuals classrooms--which seems to be the preference so far--for pumping). My admin has told the other pregnant teachers (we are many) to put up a sign and lock the door, but these are second graders I don't want mobbing about the door in desperation during recess. I also don't want them pestering the paras needlessly to come in.

Any ideas on getting my kids used to the idea of going out and staying out?

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Let the one who likes books take his book bin/bag with a few selections.
    The others I'd simply just tell no, but I'm a meanie teacher.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2015

Tell the kids that they are not allowed to come inside during recess anymore. They are to bring what ever they need with them when they leave. Let the paras know of your new rule so they can follow through. I would also lock the door when you pump....just to be safe....you never know who is going to pop into your room! :)

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 28, 2015

Start locking your door and turning your lights off now.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 28, 2015

If you start right away they'll get into the habit by the time you have to pump. You're the teacher and it's your room. Make a nice sign and tell them when that sign is up they can not come into the room. That's it!

7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 28, 2015

These are kinda my reaction... Just tell them recess is required and they are welcome to take books out with them but they have to socialize/read outside from now on.

I don't understand kids who don't like recess... like why would you NOT want to get out of the classroom and play? :confused:

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 28, 2015

Set the precedent (on Monday) that the classroom is completely off limits during recess. Period.

Like someone else mentioned--lock the door and turn off the lights.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 29, 2015

I would also let those who cover recess duty that your room is off limits and to not send kids in.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2015

I actually understand the part of not wanting to be out for recess. Many students are bullied, harassed, insulted, teased, and the list goes on. It can be because of a disability, personality, and probably a million other things, but yes, I understand that some students are going to resist having to spend time in an area that isn't structured.

While I understand that recess is not fun for some students, I would have no problem locking the door, turning off the light, and I would never try to justify my actions to elementary students. If they can't accept those rules, then admin needs to get involved and it will be up to them to decide how students such as the ones you described are redirected.

Good luck on the baby, by the way!

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

My biggest worry is the kids still coming in the building. Locking the door is easy enough, but I do worry about kids in the hall, waiting. Our paras are pretty liberal at recess for giving passes to come in for drinks, bathroom, etc. I'll work on letting them know.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2015

My biggest concern is that you have to worry about this at all. Your school should provide a quiet, clean, secure place to pump that is not your classroom. There might even be laws to that regard.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2015

14. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 31, 2015

Since several teachers are experiencing this problem, I was wondering if perhaps a "quiet room" with another paraprofessional monitoring would be helpful for the students who prefer to be inside during recess.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 31, 2015

I think I'm going to make this official mini-lesson. I came to browse the forums at recess and just had 3 kids wander in "for just one little thing".

Sarge, I'll check the laws. I've only heard they can't make us pump in a bathroom. I'm happy to do it in my classroom, but if we have this kid problem, a separate place might be worth it.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 31, 2015

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/29/207

(r) Reasonable break time for nursing mothers
    (1) An employer shall provide—
    (A) a reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for 1 year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk; and
    (B) a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.
    (2) An employer shall not be required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time under paragraph (1) for any work time spent for such purpose.
    (3) An employer that employs less than 50 employees shall not be subject to the requirements of this subsection, if such requirements would impose an undue hardship by causing the employer significant difficulty or expense when considered in relation to the size, financial resources, nature, or structure of the employer’s business.
    (4) Nothing in this subsection shall preempt a State law that provides greater protections to employees than the protections provided for under this subsection.

1B makes it seem like they should provide you with a secluded area where the public (students) cannot intrude. Any chance your school has a conference room or something where IEP meetings normally take place?

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2015

If the classroom can be made private and is lockable, there's no reason that it can't be the pumping location. In fact, it may be the preferable location because there are likely few people who have keys so the OP won't have to worry as much about people accidentally (or "accidentally") walking in during a pumping session.

I agree with others that the OP needs to begin training students to stay away from the classroom during recess starting now. I like the idea of an indoor quiet room staffed by a para if one is available during recess.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 31, 2015

We've had a lot of new mothers at my site over the past few years. All of them (four--to be exact) have wanted to pump in their own classrooms. I've offered them an empty classroom (that is used by the after school program), but they've all declined.

What they normally did was lock their door, turn off the lights, and refrigerate their pumped milk in their mini fridges.

19. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 31, 2015

When I had to pump last year, I locked the door, turned off the lights and put a sign on the door to not enter. We weren't allowed to have fridges in our rooms so I just put my milk in the regular fridge in a lunch bag. I much preferred pumping in my own classroom.

The kids should not be wandering off into the classroom during recess. The expectation needs to be set that they are required to either stay outside or that there is a designated room they could go to if they preferred to stay inside.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 2, 2015

I pump during recess/lunch time in my classroom. I covered the window with paper, and I put a "do not disturb" note on the door (and lock it, of course). I told my class that if they see the note, I'm in a meeting, and they cannot come in. (They pass by the room on their way to lunch, after recess.)

Students are not allowed in the building during recess time, unless it is an emergency. They go out to recess, and they stay there. End of story.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2015

Make sure you emphasize the importance of following the routine with you sub. I can totally see kids trying to manipulate their way back in during recess and then you will have to fight the battle when it matters.

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 3, 2015

It actually turns out my sub is doing something similar. She's currently in another class in the building subbing for another maternity leave... training those kids (kindergarteners) to stay out of the room in prep for the main teacher pumping.

I think my kids are getting better at staying outside. My book-obsessed boy is taking out several books to keep him busy.