"We wil let you know either way"

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by footballfan1989, Jul 14, 2015.

1. footballfan1989

footballfan1989 Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

"We will let you know either way"

I am getting so frustrated hearing that and then NOTHING. I know that these have been covered in these forums but I just need a place to vent. I have been coming to these forums for years and have read posts and this is my first because I am so annoyed. First let me say I know that I am fortunate that I do have a job and that I understand the struggle to finding a job. I have been on 5 interviews this summer trying to find a school closer to home ( I have an hour commute in LA) but I needed to vent. 4 of the 5 I felt great coming out of. I had examples of the kind of cirriculum that they use and how they implement it before they ask. I seem to hit each point of things they are looking. I research the school and have answers and questions. Lots of nodding and writing even where we get into great conversations about education and content. Then what is now the dreaded "It was great meeting you, we will talk it over and then with HR and then let you know either way". Sometimes they even give a time line (by next week or by Monday). Then NOTHING. I am constantly checking my phone making sure it is on and checking my email over and over. Looking in my spam just in case. I finally break and send an very courteous email thanking them for their time and just checking if they made a decision either way. Still not even a "we went with another way or no decision". I don't understand that if you make a decision why it is so difficult to drop and email of if I send one to say we went with another candidate. Anyone else in this boat

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 14, 2015

I've not been in your shoes, but I can certainly understand the frustration. I hope you get a call with a job offer soon.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 14, 2015

I'm still waiting to hear about an interview from 2011! My P really does let people know either way, and I really respect him for that.

5. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

I had that said to me pretty much every interview...even the one I had last month with staff I worked with for a year. Fortunately in that instance I got the offer a couple hours later. I do feel your pain though. I am still waiting to hear back from an interview I had in March 2013. Only never heard back once in my life though.

6. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 14, 2015

I understand your frustration. I'm there now. I have given up trying to determine how I did afterwards because it makes me crazy. Hang in there...WE WILL find something

7. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jul 14, 2015

Coming from the HR side, what often happens is that they don't inform the "no" candidates until the "yes" candidate is already processed. They often have to close out a requisition in their recruitment system after the job is filled and you get a form rejection letter at that point.

I'm going through that right now. The district where I worked on a temp part-time contract last year posted a bunch of full time jobs back in May. I applied to all, but they're actually the jobs of people who had full time temp contracts. Basically, they were already taken before they were even posted as available. Each day I'm getting an inbox full of rejections.

It's frustrating and not very personal, I know. If you go through the whole process of an interview, it would be nice to actually hear why they didn't go with you. Was it the way you presented yourself? Did someone else have more experience? Were you wearing the wrong shoes? I know it can be maddening.

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 14, 2015

TeacherWhoRuns...inboxes full of rejections!? Ugh I think I would have thrown my computer! One day we will all be employed with real live grown up jobs..,,right!?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 14, 2015

Yeah, I wish people really responded, but we all say niceties that we don't mean all the time. "We'll get together for lunch when school starts." "We must get together for a drink soon." "We should get together and take the kids to the park." In reality, we won't go to lunch, don't drink, and we hate the park. It's just that there is so little to be gained by stating the cold hard facts. I accept the promise of notification "either way" as a little white lie they are actually telling themselves, and I let them. If they actually do send a letter or email, I put that into my "wonderful people I would love to get to know better" mental file, and it truly is a pleasure if our paths cross again, since I can share how special their actions were to me. If we never meet again, perhaps their act of generosity will inspire me to do a similar kindness, if ever in a similar position.

Assume they meant it while the words were coming out of their mouth, and then move on. I don't dwell, and I don't keep any scores, but I do remember the true kindnesses.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2015

Same! I appreciate that my P keeps her word. That's the type of person you want to work for. I'm also still waiting to hear back from some interviews I did in 2013 ;). Some posters will make excuses for admin saying they're too busy or have their plates too full, etc. Sorry, I'm not buying it. It takes 1 minute to send a group e-mail that says the position has been filled. If you can't even be bothered to do that, tell candidates that if they haven't heard by next Friday at 5 (or whenever) they didn't receive the position. OP, if they do give you a timeline, I would consider that good enough notification that you didn't get it. If they give no timeline and don't bother to tell you anything, at least you know they're likely not good people to work for anyway.

Personally I don't like it when they call to reject you- but at least that's better than no notification at all! When the P is calling me, I assume I got the position, so that's a huge letdown. I know they think they're being nice. One P that I interviewed with a couple of years ago called to tell me I'd been the 2nd choice and even took the time to give me some positive and constructive feedback. Then I was even more sad that I didn't get an offer at that school, because I'm sure he was a great P!

11. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

I was actually on the positive end of a similar situation. I was told that they would get back to me either way within the next week. When I didn't hear, I knew what that meant. About 3 or so weeks later, they called me and said if you are still interested you are our top candidate to recommend to the super. It clearly meant that I was not originally the top candidate, but someone else said no and now they are desperate haha. But hey, beggars can't be choosers, right? So maybe things will still work out for you, you never know.

I also am a compulsive phone and email checker. I feel like I stare at the tab on my computer that says Inbox waiting for the little (1) to appear. It finally does and its an email from my mom about her trip to the periodontist. I feel you pain fellow 89er.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 15, 2015

Wow, I am so impressed with that number - 1. I have a bad tendency to use my inbox as storage, so the number is around 254, 256, 260. You get the number. I will say, in my defense, I just keep the things that I may need to reference in the not too distant future. I get rid of the junk, etc, but the rest is almost always work or school related.

I am SO less hooked on what my phone does. I have a new cell phone and since it is too big for the pocket, it lives in my purse. When at home, I have to remind myself to take it somewhere that someone would hear it. It is always a surprise to find that I have missed calls. I don't text much, so less of a problem. :cool: