We were mentioned on Yahoo News ~ Using the Restroom: A Privilege—If You’re a Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Amanda, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 14, 2015

I just found this...

Using the Restroom: A Privilege—If You’re a Teacher
    http://news.yahoo.com/using-restroom-privilege-teacher-140000858--politics.html

In another bathroom-break thread, this one on the forum “A to Z Teacher Stuff,” a substitute teacher recalled asking a colleague about restroom policies and emphasized that the inadequate time can amount to much more than an inconvenience:

She told me to call the office because teachers are not allowed to step out of their classrooms, not even to go into the hallway. In this case, to "keep an eye on" a neighboring class. She said that teachers may loose [sic] their license if they are caught doing this …
    Anyhow, I have IBS [irritable bowel syndrome], and I will spare everyone the nasty details. I called the office, and asked for coverage for a bathroom break and the receptionist said that she couldn't find and administrator to cover for me because certified office staff cannot cover for certificated employees. To top it off she said, “We don't have extra people floating around for those things.”
    Needless to say I waited another 45 minutes feeling nauseous and miserable and questioning whether teaching is really the profession for me.
    In a response, a first-grade substitute teacher also pointed to potentially serious health consequences: “Regardless of where I sub I typically can only use the restroom during lunch (and sometimes not even then because I have duty or lunch detention). It’s definitely not healthy, but I don't drink any liquids before or during work.”

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 15, 2015

It sucks and it is something that most people do not have to worry about. But teaching is not the only job that is like this. It isn't the only job I've had where I had to hold it for hours.

4. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Sep 15, 2015

It's crazy when your job doesn't provide time for the most basic human needs. It is unbelievable how employees are treated in this country. I have had various jobs the last 8 years after owning my own business most of my life and have been shocked at working conditions. I have been in the same situation regarding the restroom and this problem is not limited to teachers. I actually worked at one school where there was no toilet paper. Teachers had to bring in their own rolls. In retail it is also an issue. In my state employers don't even have to give breaks.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 15, 2015

So the press is lurking around here? ;)

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 15, 2015

Sometimes when I google (educational) things A-Z pops up in the searches. The writer probably googled the topic. Great reporting LOL

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2015

Way to go, Amanda!

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 15, 2015

Anyone else think of that musical "Urinetown"?

I have it pretty good. We have duty-free recesses, and worse-case scenario my aid is almost always in the room so we can excuse one another when need be.

But I've heard some horror stories.

And no, it's not just teaching. My husband has some horror stories from his job (security).

9. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Sep 15, 2015

This is really cool.
    I really connected with the article too especailly the part about being pregnant and having added stress of not being able to go when needed. I was forever dehydrated when I went to ob appoitments afterschool and they were mad at me and asking why. If you have no way of going for logn periods of time what eles can you do, but limit how much you drink during school hours.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2015

And they wonder why they are having a hard time attracting teachers to the profession in some areas...

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2015

Makes you wonder why teachers put up with abuse.