"We went with someone with more experience"

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by clarnet73, Jun 26, 2008.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 26, 2008

I swear if I have to hear this one more time, I'm going to scream.

I have 2 years at an autism school, a year teaching autism and other severely impaired special ed preschool kids, and 2 years teaching "regular" preschool kids.

So that's 3 years special ed, 3 years preschool. Last time I checked, that ought to qualify me to teach preschool special ed or any preschool for that matter.

How am I supposed to GET experience if no one will hire me?

:sorry: I know we kick this around time and time again. So if teaching 3's and 4's at the private/corporate school I'm at now isn't getting me the experience they want me ot have, what should I look at for next year? Aiding? Subbing? is one better than the other? grrrr!

I hate job hunting! This is my 5th year doing it and I'd like to spend my spring and summer doing something DIFFERENT for a change.

3. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

Wow! Have you ever tried asking them that same question? I mean, what can you lose? If they say that to you, then ask, "Okay. May I ask you a question? I'd like to know what kind of experience I should have in order to increase my marketability?" Well, something like that...

4. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 26, 2008

I totally agree! This is my third summer job hunting. I'd really rather spend my summer relaxing and crafting and doing all the stuff I put off during the year. Instead I'm desperate and depressed. My husband isreally tired of me job hunting. He's pushing me really hard to get a science credential. I love science and am working on getting the credential, but it's not my passion. I want to teach social studies. *sigh* :huh:

Here's hoping that we all get the job we're looking for!!!:2up:

5. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

Yes, ask them what they are looking for. You should be more than qualified to teach in any pre-school. In fact, I thought those jobs were easier to come by. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are these positions that you are applying for in a public school? If so, you may want to move out of private school and get more experience in a public school. I am spec. ed. also. I was offered a position in a private school last year which I didn't end up taking because my ultimate goal is to work in a public school and the way they do things is completely different in private vs. public when it comes to spec. ed.

In fact, call them back and ask them. State that you would really like to work at the district and ask them what you can do to gain the experience they are looking for. I've heard of someone getting a job by doing something similiar. Actually, she went in for 1st round interviews and didn't get called back. She called admin. and asked why and what she needed to do to get past the first interview. They told her to come in and they ended up hiring her. Just something to think about.

6. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Hugs! It is so frustrating. I would seriously consider contacting them in a very polite manner and asking exactly what they are looking for. Best of luck!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2008

Maybe that one just wasn't for you, Clarnet. Keep at it. Whoever gets you will be lucky!

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2008

Clarnet, I spent 7 years working as a preschool (ages 2.5-6 yrs) special ed. coordinator for a private early childhood operator. I actually hired paras to work with the students in a regular ed. preschool program or their community PUBLIC school in their kg. class. I went to each program weekly to bi-weekly and assisted the teacher in adapting their program, supervised the paras, provided materials, wrote IEPs, contracted OT, PT, SLP and music therapy.... The public school would not even give me an interview. They even had a program just like mine in their system! I actually moved to (out of country) to get a job in a public school. I taught a mild autism class for 3 years and moved back and was phoned by every school district that I applied for.

Keep trying Clarnet. Consider subbing in the public school district for a year! Keep strong.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

My husband just went through the job search and got that line 2 times. Personally, I think it's #2 on "what to tell the interviewee they didn't get the job" list.

I had to tell my husband that the school he gets hired at is going to be the school at which he belongs. I know it's hard to swallow, but it's true. After spending 7 years of my career at the beginnning trying to get at the school at which I belong, it took patience and determination. I had to "kiss alot of frogs" to find the prince of schools so to speak.

Keep with it, don't give up and keep looking. It'll come.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2008

I HATE HEARING THAT!! I agree with you! How else are you supposed to get that experience if no one will "take a chance" on you?

Try hearing that from a principal, just to find out that the person they did hire, was a brand new teacher!!!! I had 2 years teaching experience (kinder, 2nd) and it was for a 3rd grade position. Can you say LIAR?!!?