We passed, BUT...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by glitterfish, Mar 27, 2009.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

So, the good news is that 100% of my kids passed the OAKS test (Oregon reading) on their 2nd try this year. (They get 3 tries.) I was so relieved!

BUT...the bad news is that several students scores did not improve from our first time taking the test in November to our second time in March. I had one child stay the same and two go down. I also had one child who improved from fall to spring, but her score got worse from 3rd grade to 4th. Keep in mind that all of these students got passing scores, it's just a matter of going from a high pass to a lower pass. I know I probably shouldn't be worried because a lot of kids improved a lot, but still, it really bothers me that scores went down for some of the kids. What does that mean?? It doesn't seem like a fluke because it happened to more than one. I just keep wondering what I could be doing to make them get worse over the past few months...

3. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

There are a lot of factors that affect the results of a one time (or two time) standardized test. That's why they give them three tries to pass! A lot better than some other states (like mine) when you get one day to pass, and if you fail you repeat the grade!!!

Don't be hard on yourself about their results. Look at your own classroom assessments to gauge whether students are progressing. Are they reading more challenging books? Can they multiply? Are they enjoying school and learning? To me, these are more important factors that if they went up or down, while still passing, a high-stakes state test.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2009

Plus, you might not be aware of factors in their personal lives. Maybe Grandma's sick and a child is worried about her, or there's tension in the home for some other reason.

5. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

Thanks for your calming words, catsos2 and Mrs. K. I tend to be neurotic about these kind of things. I guess I should just be overjoyed that they all passed.... :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2009

I'm no standardized testing expert.

But it seems to me that, on any given day, a kid's score would fluctuate a few points in either direction.

That's why ETS takes the highest combination of scores on the SAT exam; because one sitting of the exam is just a snapshot of the student on that particular day. Take the snapshot on a different day, and the picture is a little different.

I wouldn't sweat the differences. I would be shocked if all students experienced exactly the same growth from one test to the next.