We noticed a problem with your Paypal account

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Cerek, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 25, 2012

About a month ago, I tried to add some money to my Paypal account. I received a message that there was a "problem" with my account and Paypal needed some additional information to correct this problem.

Along with my name, address and date of birth, this message is also requesting my Social Security#. Naturally, I did NOT supply this information.

Since then, I've received no less than 3 email messages reminding me, again, that there is a problem with my account and I need to provide this additional information to correct it.

I rarely even use my Paypal account anymore, but I've never been asked to provide this extra info before. Asking for my SS# is the biggest red flag. It sounds too much like a scam to me.

Has anyone else experienced this?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2012

No, but I would be wary too. Can you close that account and start fresh with a new one?

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2012

Nope, but, I did get 3 emails last month at like 4 am that said my paypal purchase was complete....someone somehow had hacked in and purchased 3 transactions on ebay(not my ebay account) that was shipped to Vietnam..Paypal of course reversed the charges...but how annoying.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2012

That's definitely something fraudulent. I have a Paypal acct, but maybe used it twice in the last several yrs. No, I haven't gotten anything suspicious, probably because I don't think I changed my email address with them when I moved.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 25, 2012

That's what I'm thinking, Ms. I.

The email I received today started out saying they've contacted me several times and this would be my final notice. After reminding me of the previous emails, the next line was

"What's the problem?"

That pretty well settled any questions I had about it being legit.

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 25, 2012

Actually, it's legit. Have you made any large purchases with PayPal recently? And by large I mean $200+?

8. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 25, 2012

The only way to know if the emails are legit or not is to actually log onto your PayPal account. Don't use any links provided in the email. Go to your search engine of choice and log into PayPal from their. If they need information, there will be a message for you within your PayPal account.

Good luck!

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2012

No way would an email ask for SS#

10. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 25, 2012

Is there a way you can contact PayPal directly? They may know about fraudulent emails going out and be able to direct you so it doesn't continue.

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 25, 2012

I've gone through this same thing Cerek is talking about. It's not asking you to send your SS# through email. The email is from PayPal and is asking you to log in to their website and do it.

Call customer service if you want to confirm.

12. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Sep 25, 2012

They would not ask for your SS # if it was legit. DON'T click any links directly from those e-mails. If you have questions, log in to Paypal directly. If there is an actual issues, it will be on their site.

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2012

The problem is, the link in the email brings you to a site that LOOKS like it is paypal, but in fact is not...this is called phishing.

Maybe yours was in fact legit, but this is one of the biggest scams around, because now you have entered all of your personal info into the fake site and the scammers can go from there with your info.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 25, 2012

Can you just go to the actual PayPal website (NOT a link through the email), log in, and see what it says? If there's something you need to do, it'll say so on the website.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2012

I have received the same phishing email from several companies, including paypal. Most companies have an email set up so you can forward the phishing messages. That's usually what I do and then I delete the original email.

Banks seem to be the majority of phishing schemes that come to my inbox.

16. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Sep 25, 2012

Another way to tell a legit paypal email is if they paypal email starts off as Dear FirstName LastName.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2012

I use PayPal several times a week. My husband I make most purchases online and we always choose PayPal, and it's how I choose to donate to various causes. I have never had a legitmate such message from PayPal.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2012

Why don't YOU contact Paypal?

It's entirely possible that someone else is requesting the info. Call, don't email. (Or email, explain the problem, and ask for a phone number.) Let them know that, if having your social security number is now a requirement for an account, you'll be closing that account.

The convenience of Paypal simply isn't worth giving up that information in my opinion.