We hired a male teacher and some parents...............

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachonlygirls, May 24, 2010.

1. teachonlygirls

teachonlygirls New Member

May 24, 2010

SCARED! I have heard things like why would a guy want to work at an all girls preschool? Why is he changing diapers? All of the girls love him, it is just the parents (some) that have a problem. What do I say when parents talk to me about him? thanks:dizzy:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2010

You gush about what a great teacher he is, and about how wonderful it is that they have yet another positive male role model!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2010

I encountered this sort of situation when my son was in kindergarten and 3 mothers took their daughters home from school because there was a male sub in the class. I agree with Alice's advice, as usual.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 24, 2010

1) It's a job.
    2) The same reasons a woman would want to work at an all-girls preschool.

1) Because it's part of the job.
    2) Because if he didn't then some kids might wait longer between not being changed, which could be a health risk.

I find it pretty irritating that men are basically assumed to be molesters, when the opposite situation -- women changing little boys' diapers -- is viewed as completely normal and expected.

That said, he should probably be sitting down with these parents directly and explaining himself, without casting any judgement on them for being sexist. Hopefully he is well-spoken and can persuade them that he isn't a threat.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 24, 2010

Gosh, do the parents think that only men molest kids?? Check out our local sex offender web site...more than a handful of women are represented.

Talk about positive male role models and their effect on girls' self esteem...and how good bonds with adult males in children's lives diminishes the chance of them seeking attention from males in inappropriate ways in adolesence. I'm not making that up...I read a study somewhere recently.

And just say, "he was the best, most qualified candidate for the job, and our school hires only the best."

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 24, 2010

I once hired a male case manager for teen aged girls. He was wonderful.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 24, 2010

Just out of interest, why would there be a girls-only preschool?

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 24, 2010

My son had a Kindergarten teacher that had been a defensive lineman on his college football team. Why would a big, burly man want to teach a room full of 5 year olds? Because he was GOOD at it. :cool:

My son loved him. He called him "Sasquatch" when he saw his big, hairy arms. The teacher just got a good laugh out of it. :lol:

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 25, 2010

Professional football player Hollis Thomas has a degree in early childhood development. My husband and I have always said we thought he'd be a great preschool teacher, despite being 6' tall and 340 pounds. He'd be like having a giant teddy bear!

11. teachonlygirls

teachonlygirls New Member

May 25, 2010

Thanks for the advice everyone. We are going to have a meet and greet one day for "all" teachers so everyone can get to know everyone.

SCMOM-

Here is how it started. A group of parents were tired of their daughters being hurt by the boys and by boys getting all of the teachers' attention at most daycares/preschools. They decided to open a preschool for only girls. It started in someones basement and a few years ago, we got space in a shopping center to have the school. We are hoping to move into a stand-alone in 2012. We do not advertise, but just use word of mouth and referrals and we have a waiting list. That may change when we get a bigger building and can hold more girls. :thumb:

12. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

May 25, 2010

I would ask them why their girls aren't potty trained. :) How old are these preschoolers?

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 26, 2010

Male kindergarten teacher here... I get pretty positive feedback from the parents I encounter - the kids enjoy school which I think puts their minds at ease. I've gotten a few negative comments from folks on my blogs - one woman outright said she doesn't trust any man who would want to work with kids all day... to her I say, I'm not sure what your issues are, but DON'T JUDGE me or PUT ME IN A BOX because of my gender. I work with small kids because it's fun and I feel like I have a lot to offer - I can show them a different way to learn and see the world. I may not be 'maternal' but I think I'm nurturing in my own way - at least I hope so. People are just afraid of the unknown - they need to EDUCATE themselves so they KNOW. :)

14. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

May 26, 2010

Being a male teacher that has worked in early childhood setting for many years as a teacher and an adminstrator, including infant care, my experience has been 99% positive..In 14 years, I have had one parent ask that I not change their daughters diaper, which I obviously honored, but I think MANY, MANY parents respect me for what I do and how well I do it. I love what I do, and can not imagine doing anything else! In this day and age, there are SOOOO many children growing up in single family homes, without fathers, I feel I fit that role, at least during the school hours, and I accept that with great humbleness (is that a word?)....It's an awesome responsibility, which I cherish every day!

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 26, 2010

After the gushing, and the role modeling of how much you respect the teacher and all of the other intro things.......perhaps you should have forms available that are to be used with all the contact numbers if you would like to drive over every time that a diaper needs to be changed. That way you don't have to worry about the qualification of who changes it.:lol:

I am mostly kidding.....but a little serious. I think men in teaching roles regardless of the age group are to be honored. It is a great perspective, and a great relationship for those children who are missing males at home.

16. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 28, 2010

I completely agree that we do need more male teachers, especially in early childhood education. Boys do need positive male role models to look up to. So a big thank you to all those male teachers out there for doing such a wonderful job! You are much appreciated by all of us.

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 28, 2010

Not only the boys need a posibive male role model.............girls need them as well. In an all girls school where the children will be expected to transition into co ed classes later in life....I would see it as even more important.

18. Mr teacher

Mr teacher Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

agree fully.

This is also what I would let the parents know because as a male teacher myself who works with young children (currently as a nanny because i needed more flexibility so i could also finish my degree, but I get credit for working with them for my degree program, but i have worked with preschoolers ages 18months-5 years for over 7 years and will be going back to it after i finish my masters, since in this economy its needed) that is the same thing i tell to parents or people when they ask me, although i also am more maternal imho than most male teachers, not to say that you are not :)

i agree with the meet and greet, and doesn't he change diapers in front of everyone? shouldnt all the staff? That is something the parents should know as well. I also agree with what the others have said about that issue that its part of the job, and it needs to be done. Its just like wiping a nose, and that if he doesnt want to do it, or the other parents dont like it and want him to stop they should be notified of finding another center, because if you cut that duty of his, that is just telling the girls in your school that boys actually do hurt girls or setting a wrong example.

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2010

interesting thread!
    I'm also waiting to hear an update from the poster.

20. yenny

yenny Rookie

Jun 8, 2010

I work with a Male teacher and i have to say i think every nursery/kindergarten should employ one! They offer so much to the children just with a different approach to activties as well as being excellent role models surely the fact a man works in a child care setting helps promote an anti-discriminatory practice?!

21. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 8, 2010

I have to agree with some ealier post, props to all of those men teaching young children! Thank you for what you do! It can be rough for men because I think they get stereotyped from the start.

22. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Jun 8, 2010

Ditto! I think it's great that they have a male teacher. I worked in a preschool once that had 2 male teachers and no one seemed to have any problem with it.

23. Mr teacher

Mr teacher Rookie

Jun 19, 2010

thank you teacherR :) truly hope i can find more like you or directors like you!