WE HAVE OUTDOOR RECESS FINALLY!!!!! (RAVE!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lyn, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 23, 2009

After spending the last two months coped up indoors for recess everyday (which cuts into my lunch break) the receptionist came on today and annouced:

RECESS WILL BE OUTDOORS TODAY. I REPEAT, RECESS WILL BE OUTDOORS!!!

My class and I all cheered at the top of our lungs. Then, I was like, "Let's cheer again!" :D

One of the boys mother's (who teaches at my school) told me her son had been praying for outdoor recess everynight because his teacher had told the class if they wished and hoped for it hard enough it would warm up enough for them to go out :D

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 23, 2009

I thought we would too, but we are inside.I am taking them out at the end of the day. I was fuming when I heard we couldnt go outside.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

What does the temp have to be to take them out? Here it needs to be 10 degrees or above and the windchill can't dip below 0.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2009

Great news, Lynn!!!

I'm sorry that yall aren't able to go outside, AMK.

6. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Jan 23, 2009

Here in Florida we have had to have indoor recess the past few days. The temp. has been below 45 F in the morning so they say no outdoor recess or PE. ha ha :) I just think it is too funny!

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 23, 2009

I read online last week that in some towns in Alaska, outdoor recess is only cancelled if the wind chill is lower than -40. Eek!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2009

We have indoor recess here if its raining, or the temp is below 40 degrees.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2009

We have to be above 32 to go out. Today was the first day in a month that we went outside!!!

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 23, 2009

I'm laughing. Being from Michigan originally, I remember our rule was if it was below 0, no outdoor recess.

However, here in our southern state, where the kids barely own warm coats, anything under 45 is completely at the teacher's descretion. No one has ever actually said we "can't" go out -- but when it is 32 or colder, we just don't. There are too many kids who are dropped off at before-school care wearing nothing but a hoodie. I guess the parents figure since they just walk from the car directly into the building, and then get picked up the same way, that they don't need a coat or something. We also have many kids who ride the bus who don't wear coats on really cold days.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 23, 2009

Today was our first day with outdoor recess in about 2 months too! Our kids stay in if it's below 30. That hasn't been our biggest problem, though. Our playground has been like an ice rink for the last 6 weeks or so, so sending them out would have been very dangerous! Luckily, it got close to 40 degrees today and the ice melted, so the kids got to go out.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2009

Here too! It dipped to just below freezing, so the Principal said no outside recess. :lol:

And there were five or six flakes that fell from the sky, which caused a mad dash to the window.

I miss the winters we had where it snowed several times during the season.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 24, 2009

We went outside yesterday too and it was wonderful, even though I had duty. I wanted the kids to run and play so I enlisted kids in a race to the fence and back. I had about 4 kids to start with and by the time recess was over I had about 50 kids racing to the fence. They made it back to me where I gave them high fives, it was great.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2009

I said this before and I'll say it again (louder)

IF THE KIDS CAN WALK TO SCHOOL AND WAIT FOR THE BUS IN WEATHER, THEN WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T THEY PLAY IN IT!!!

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2009

Isn't Virginia north of Georgia? I've been to Georgia in the winter and it's pretty cold. The ground froze solid. That never happens here. I think that maybe if you had recess outside more often, the parents might go out and get some winter coats and start sending their kids to school in them even if they ride the bus.

I bike to work every day, so I pay close attention to the temperature. Last year it dipped to 25 in the morning a few times. When I got to school, they had the kids outside for morning recess. And some of them were wearing just hoodies. No one is going to get hypothermia in 15 minutes when it's dry.

No wonder childhood obesity is such an issue.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 24, 2009

Walking to school and waiting for the bus are not decisions made by the school. Those are decisions made by the parents and there are some people out there who don't use the best judgement when it comes to those things. Just because the parents use bad judgement doesn't mean the school needs to follow suit.

It was -5 one day last week on my way to work. When I got there, I saw two of my students walking down the street toward the school. Their mother decided it was "ok" for them to walk about a mile, on ice (the streets and sidewalks were like ice rinks) in -5 degree weather. That was TERRIBLE judgement on her part. Does that mean that the school should also allow the children to be outside in that weather? Of course not!

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2009

We're not talking about ice on the ground. We're not talking about sub-zero(F) temperatures.

We're talking about canceling recess when it's in the low 30's or high 20's. I bike in those temps around here, and the pavement is just fine.

If parents are sending their kids to school without jackets, then that's another issue as well.

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 24, 2009

We can't be when it is below 32.....supposed to be just as cold next week.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2009

But will it be raining? Will there be ice on the ground?

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 24, 2009

Sarge,

I am all for the kids going out. I dont make the rules about whether they go out or not. Most of kids dont come from much. School is the only warm place for them and where they can get a hot meal. Next week it is supposed to snow and rain
    When you get the kids bundled up recess is over.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 24, 2009

Not if it's below 32. Then it would probably be snow. :whistle:

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 24, 2009

Right, but your point was that if they can wait outside for the bus and walk to school, they should be able to play outside too. My point is that whether or not their parents allow them to do those things is irrelevant because you can't always trust the parents' judgement. Personally, I think even 20 degrees is too cold to be outside for any extended period of time, especially if you factor in the wind chill.

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

I've actually got to agree with you. Although I personally don't like going out anymore in cold weather, (achy bones), the kids would benefit from fresh air and running around.

24. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 26, 2009

AGREED!!!