We have a new principal...

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Ellensmom, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 1, 2008

AND I want to talk to him about scheduling before the other 3rd grade teacher schedules the SAME WAY SHE HAS FOR YEARS! How long should I wait to talk to the new principal? He just started today, so I figured a week. Is that too soon? This is only my second year and I DO NOT LIKE the fact that our 2 classes change for 1 subject 30 minutes a day/3x a week. By the time we change classes we end up with about 20 minutes of instruction time. I don't feel that is adequate, but the other teacher says it is fine. When I asked her why they changed, she said "It helps them get ready for 4th grade" Well, 4th grade changes to get them ready for 5th, etc. At this rate we should change classes in 1st grade to get them ready for 2nd, 3rd, etc.
    Should I not bring this issue up at all? :unsure:

3. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

I really think that this issue needs to be handled as a collaborative grade level team with the principal present. Have you approached the other teacher? With a new principal, it might be hard to put so many things on his/her plate. I would request a grade level meeting with the principal as soon as possible. It kind of sounds like the other teacher is a little stubborn and needs to be more open-minded.

4. msufan

msufan Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

Agreed. You don't want to go behind the back of the other teacher you are teaming with.

5. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for your thoughts, but I have already tried to talk to the teacher about it. She has no desire to change, at least if I ask her. Needless to say, this is only 1 of the things we disagreed with last year.

6. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 1, 2008

If it were me and I was near the building, I might stop in say hi and just start talking and then mention ideas I had for the grade level. He might have ideas of how he would like things to run in each grade. You could mention what has been done and say you thought there might be a different way to work with the kids. See if he has thoughts then mention your own ideas. Casual talk may get your further than you think and if this other teacher is as set in her ways, it may be better to stop by sooner than later.

7. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

Change is good! Since you've done it a certain way for so long maybe talking w/teacher/principal on ways to make and implement changes in the room is better than getting to the principal on your own and making these changes. Trust me---work together. Just kinda mention that you'd like to change so and so when the 3 of you are together--and sound positive!!

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

Hmmm, if you just say no and don't back down, what could the other teacher do? Is it one of those "this is the way we have always done it" so she doesn't want to change? Does she not want to plan for that extra subject or not like teaching the other subject? Whatever reason she has issues with changing the schedule you (as the newer kid on the block) will have to plead your case. I would start thinking of reasons why a change would be better now, so when you do have a meeting you can calmly state your points.

9. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 2, 2008

Thanks for the input. I "stopped by" this morning and had a brief visit with the principal. I met him the other day, and actually did have something else to mention with him. I asked his opinion about changing classes in 3rd grade, and :) he is not really fond of it. He also said he wanted to meet with everyone and talk about what works/doesn't work and go from there. At least he knows where my feelings are, and that I am not trying to complain. (I didn't mention about not getting along with the other teacher, so he doesn't think it is a vendetta). I feel better knowing I have taken the initiative, and now I will just wait to see how he handles it. As he said, he wants to know what everyone's teaching styles are, and we want to know what his administrative style is- he has insight into me and vice versa. Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone!:thanks: