We can learn ...from them

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2006

I would like to relate a story. When our son was young, he made friends with a neighbor boy who had just had surgery on his legs. He had cerebal palsy and was confined to a wheel chair for quite some time. Our son sat and played board games with him every day...and when he was out of his wheel chair and healed up, he even taught him to ride a bike...something the doctors said would never happen. When my son joined the city baseball team, of which my husband was the coach, they took John along. My husband made a decision ... something that might be very unpopular with many people...he let the boy join the team. The rest of the team members supported this decision without hesitation. When "John" went up to bat, they cheered. He could not run, so one of the team members would run for him. The reason I am telling this story, is so that we never forget those who are handicapped ... in any way...we can learn so much from them...empathy being right at the top of the list. This child had a life time of memories he will never forget...because someone took the time to make things happen for him. I hope all of you are doing something to "make things happen" for someone you know. I remember his mom saying how difficult some of the teachers and other kids were in school for John...and she would comment that all he wanted to do was "play"... just like the other kids. We need to stop giving so much glory to the "smartie pants" kids in school...they have it made. Now don't start with the rude comments about how difficult it is to be soooooo smart. That is B.S. and you know it. What's difficult is the boy who wants to be part of the "team", part of the little circles of friends, and part of the "smart" group of kids who get all the glory. If you have a heart, you will know what I mean.

3. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Mar 16, 2006

I guess I have a huge heart because my heart always bleeds for the "underdog". I'll move heaven and earth to help someone be accepted. Thanks for the reminder!

4. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Mar 17, 2006

Thank you for sharing this story Grammy...

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2006

Grammy I couldn't have said it better... as an educator who works with all levels of developmentally challenged men, women, and children I have come to realize that those of us considered "normal" take so much for granted, whereas those individuals with obstacles, (at least those I've encountered) try so hard and never lose their will.
    So remember whenever you are having a bad day, there is somone out there with more difficult circumstances. Don't sweat the small stuff ---Life is too short.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2006

Grammy, I know exactly what you mean. A kind heart full of compassion makes the TOP of my list for the most important quality a person should have. Sadly, I don't think we see enough of it today!