WDYT - accept or not to accept offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacherella, Jun 2, 2008.

  1. Teacherella

    Teacherella Habitué

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Messages:
    769
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 2, 2008

    I've had several interviews and I'm waiting to hear back from most of them. The one I just had today is making a decision tonight and will contact me tomorrow to let me know if I was chosen. I've made my pros and cons list (to prepare for a possible offer) and I'm still torn. It's a Christian school in a nice area, I really like the staff, and the grade is exactly what I would want. The major con is that the salary is really low (low 20's). In a public school with my education (Masters), I would get paid in the high 40's or even low 50's.

    Another issue is that most public schools haven't made their calls for interviews yet. Many around here wait until the summer (after school is done) to make their decisions.

    I guess what I'm wondering is what you would do in my situation. Would you accept this offer knowing that you might get more interviews and other offers? Thanks!
     
  2.  
  3. nayelismom

    nayelismom Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 2, 2008

    I don't really have an answer for you but I wonder the same thing. What if you get an offer to your second choice but want to wait for your first choice to come though? Is there an about of time where you can back out of an offer you've excepted? :confused:
     
  4. Teacherella

    Teacherella Habitué

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Messages:
    769
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 2, 2008

    I've *heard* that you could usually back out after accepting a job offer from a private school. I'm sure it will look bad and I would also feel horrible because I would feel like I wasted their time (and the possible loss of other candidates who would say yes).
     
  5. Marci07

    Marci07 Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,017
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 2, 2008

    The pay is a big difference but maybe I would take it just to get some experience and then apply for a public school. If you already have experience and think that you have big chances of getting a job at a public school (for this you would have to look at the job market. I've read in these forums that some places are very hard to get into).
     
  6. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,606
    Likes Received:
    2,714

    Jun 2, 2008

    Honestly, I would accept the offer and use it as a back-up. If I got an offer later in the summer from a school who could pay me significantly more, I'd take the new offer. Until you sign the contract, nothing is finalized.

    Employers must be competitive if they want to hire and retain the best people. Offering $20,000 to someone with a Masters degree is an insult, especially if it's in an area where those same people would make two and a half times as much doing the exact same work in a different school. We owe it to ourselves and our families to secure jobs which will allow us to take care of business at home. I don't think I could live on $20k unless I had no other option.

    You might need that $20k if it turns out that you aren't offered a better position elsewhere. A job is better than no job, and the experience will be good for you.

    Good luck in whatever you decide. :)
     
  7. Teacherella

    Teacherella Habitué

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Messages:
    769
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 2, 2008

    Thank you, Cassie. I was thinking it was an insult too, but didn't want to come off as stuck up. I'm wondering if I will be able to negotiate for a higher salary. I'm not sure if he realized I have a Masters, but he did say it depends on education and experience. Luckily, my husband makes a nice salary (which we basically live off now) so whatever extra I make would be great...not mandatory to live on.

    Anyway, I was also wondering about private school contracts. When you are offered a position, do they usually make you sign a contract that day or is it later on? I would want to stall as much as possible because I don't want to be locked in. I think I'll start a new post so it doesn't get lost here. Thanks again!
     
  8. tm91784

    tm91784 Comrade

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2005
    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jun 4, 2008

    When I was offered a private school position, I did not sign until a month after the interview.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Irama Jonson
Total: 148 (members: 3, guests: 129, robots: 16)
test