Ways to use junk mail in the classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NoviceTutor, Jul 8, 2011.

1. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Jul 8, 2011

Hi,
    I think it is called "junk mail". I am talking about the various advertisment papers that sent to various households. I was wondering if anyone has incoporated it as an activity in their classroom. Please share if you have any ideas at all.

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 8, 2011

Budgeting, grocery lists, money management, goal setting & planning

Depends on the age of students, but there are a lot of real life connections that can be made using ads.

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 8, 2011

They're great for young students too. Good exploration of environmental print.

I've been saving the fronts of snack and cereal boxes for this reason but never though about saving my junk mail.

5. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Jul 8, 2011

Thank you Karebear76 and MissAnt for your great ideas. I have heard of the term "environmental print" before but never associate it with the advertisments. Now I am learning something new. Using the labels of snack wrappers or cereal boxes is also a new idea for me. Wow, I am impressed.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 8, 2011

You can use the ads to teach persuasive text and persuasive writing. Examine the different techniques that are used to try to get someone to buy the product.

7. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

I save (and have my parents save) the envelopes that come in the mail with all of the credit card, insurance, etc. offers. My I keep them in my writing center for the kids to use.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

For the younger kids I use them to do a variety of phonemic awareness activities.

9. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

I use the grocery store or food ads when we do our unit on healthy eating...We use the pictures for TONS of different activities to making balanced meals based on the food pyramid (which we will be changing this year due to the new design)...we chart healthy and unhealthy foods...During dental health month we make giant mouths or teeth out of white or brown paper and glue healthy foods on the white tooth and yucky foods on the brown tooth...so many possibilities with them...

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2011

If some of the envelopes are "window" envelopes, cut out the front of the envelope, glue a piece of construction paper with the same size "window" to the back of the piece you cut out, and you have an EZC reading strip very cheap! (the construction paper will strengthen it so it will last)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

That is a great idea for a reading strip!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I can't claim it as I got it from someone else, but thanks!