Ways to teach grammar? (Foreign language)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Aug 21, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

Good evening-

I am looking to do some changes in my instruction this year, and one of them was teaching grammar in my FL classes. I've been using powerpoint. Does anyone teach grammar another way? I would be very grateful if you could share.

Thanks!

3. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 21, 2014

I think it really depends on the grammar point being taught. I teach French and I'll teach the grammar point with notes and then reinforce it with fun activities.

For example, when we were learning about the difference between the imperfect and preterite tenses, we acted out difference scenarios and talked about which tense we would use (Jimmy was reading a book when Cindy threw a ball of paper). They were able to argue their choices back and forth and talk them through.

When we learned the imperative tense, I they had to do a skit where they were on a cooking show, teaching someone how to make a meal (Turn on the oven. Take out the milk. Stir in the flour).

What do you do to reinforce the grammar point with your kids?

ETA - the best thing I ever did was to go through my grammar outcomes and link them to a specific thematic unit. For example, the imperative tense and using a past participle as an adjective (among others) were part of my food and cooking unit. They reinforced the verb through the skit noted above and reinforced the past participle by creating a menu where they had to describe how things were prepared. It was also a way for me to introduce a whole parcel of vocabulary and such.

4. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

Thank you for your suggestion Shanoo! I appreciate it very much!!!