Ways to store backpacks and coats during the day

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by NC1stGradeTeach, Aug 11, 2009.

1. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

My classroom does not have any type of hook system or cubbies big enough to store coats and backpacks. What type of system did you come up with to solve this problem? What did you do to store students' items during the school day? I have looked online for hooks to install but $4.00 per hooks will get very expensive!! Thanks!!! I am planning on having 22 students and would need enough space for 25. Thanks!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

I bought two laundry baskets and made signs for them; one for boys and one for girls. The bags go in there. It never gets cold here. I don't have to really worry about coats. I do have a closet with coat hooks if need be, but I use it as my storage closet.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

Any other ideas?
    I have nothing in my room either.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

Someone before had posted that the kids keep backpacks on the backs of their chairs... and coats have to stuff inside backpacks. I would probably find that the backpacks fell off chairs a lot, though...

If you know someone who has some carpentry skills, I bet you could make a "coat rack" with some scrap wood and hooks, they have to found somewhere cheaper than $4 each. Or use those 3M ones that supposedly will hang anything?

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

Get a cheap rack at walmart and buy some inexpensive hangers for coats. I use a cheap rack to hang my big poems on. I don't know what the original purpose of the rack is...it's in the laundry basket and shoe rack section of walmart.

8. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

In my area putting coats together in a laundry basket would cause the spread of lice! Seriously it has happened. I would insist that hooks be installed. Home Depot has wooden boards in different lengths with hooks already on them for closets and bathrooms etc.. They are metal and very durable. In order to drill into a building wall the custodians have to have an approved work order for my county.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2009

My school is a brand new building. They permanently installed cubbies. The cubbies are WAAAYYYYY too small. My boss won't let us install hooks. I'm thinking of putting out crates. I hate to do that in a brand new building but oh well.

10. prek176

prek176 Companion

Aug 13, 2009

I visited a classroom recently where they had this issue. (Our school has lockers. Thankfully.) They hung a closet pole under the cabinets which were hanging on the wall. They use coat hangers for the coats and the backpacks sit on the floor underneath. Any way you could do something like that?

11. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

First......thanks to everyone for the great responses!!! Here"S an update:

I was told that if I purchased the hooks someone at school would install them. I have checked on-line and found hooks for 4 or 5 dollars each. Yikes!!! I am expecting at least 23 or 24 first graders on the first day of school.

12. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I have my kids keep their backpacks on the back of their chair. It sounds like a nightmare but we talk about the rules on the first day. (no getting in backpack without permission, etc.)

A trick is to turn both handles sideways and slip them over the chair that way they don't fall off. It works wonderfully.

I did the tubs my first year but I didn't like having to take time to pass them out at the end of the day. But I know teachers that love that way too. It is totally personal preference.

13. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 14, 2009

I would do the hooks but I am going to try to do the back of chair thing and see how that works. If it doesn't then back to square one!

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

this is why teachers should be involved in the design of classrooms! LOL

hope you get the hooks installed ok!

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic