Ways to Stay Positive

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Jun 14, 2012.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 14, 2012

Hey, fellow jobseekers! So after hearing nothing from 2 separate interviews, I'm feeling a bit down on myself and my ability to get a "real" teaching position. The last two days I applied to 5 more English/LA positions and wrote 90 emails to principals, but the irrational side of me feels it's already "too late" to score a permanent or long-term leave position, especially when my peers have already been hired.

I absolutely hate feeling so anxious! I know I'd be a great teacher if someone would give me a chance to prove it.

Anyway... I need your help. What are your tips on remaining positive in the middle of the hiring season? Any pointers you want to share? I could use an ego boost and good ideas, and I'm sure others out there feel the same way! :hugs:

Note: Please no negativity in this thread! We all know how bad the economy/state of education is, and don't need to be reminded about it. ;)

3. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

I really hear you there. I just received a letter stating that I was not selected by the committee for an interview. It was the same district that I worked at before (9 years ago). I have been seeking employment for the last 7 years. I am waiting for an answer from a private school and a catholic school. I've been waiting since Nov. 2011 for the private school and they have not told me anything negative. I even took an IQ test with them and met the deans too. I feel very down and low and the finances worry me so much. I'd like to hear something also to brighten my spirits.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 14, 2012

Prayer is the best way to get through this. I also read a lot of Joel O'Steen. He has some very uplifting books and devotionals. Praying for you!

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 14, 2012

How about buying or borrowing a book on a new-ish education topic or method? You could learn something that you can talk about in your interviews, and you can plan how you would implement a new method in your future classroom. :)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

Keep working on refining your resume and cover letter! Talk with everyone you know in teaching (you never know when a name drop will come around).

Then spend some time doing things you love. Take your mind off of it and know that something will come around when it is meant to be.

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 14, 2012

Thanks everyone! These posts make me feel a bit better. Keep the suggestions rolling in. :)

A really good friend of mine (who's a secondary teacher) told me take my mind off the job hunt over the weekend, and I think I'm gonna do just that. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous and a few afternoons out in the sunshine should help my mood. She also said that plenty of last minute positions appear a few days before school starts, meaning I should stop irrationally worrying about whether or not "it's too late" to find a job, ha ha.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

It is so true that many new positions will be showing up in July and Aug. I have a few friends that even got positions after the school year started! So it's never too late to get a job.

9. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

Before my last interview I found a career goals paper I had written for a class when I first decided I wanted to teach - it was a nice reminder of why I got into the profession at a time when my career could have gone in many other directions. I will second prayer and add gratitude and praise for what you already have to help you stay positive.

FYI, it isn't too late. I was hired at my current school last August a week before school started, some people get called even later.

10. Galois

Galois Companion

Jun 14, 2012

I got my job a week before school started last year, and I did not even have my teaching credential. There will be more jobs coming out.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 14, 2012

It is not the middle of the hiring season. Around here, it is just beginning!

I agree that taking a break is important. It is too easy to get stressed and obsessed.

Also tweaking that cover letter. I thought I had tweaked it as far as I could, but I did tweak it some more and it is 100% better. I added a new anecdote and my husband agrees--it is even better than before!

12. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 14, 2012

Why not broaden your job search ? Have you considered tutoring over the summer? That's what I did when I was laid off last year.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

If you sent 90 e-mails in a day, they must be cookie-cutter.
    I spent 12 hours sending 16 e-mails the other day. I got 2 calls in 2 days from it! I went to each school's website and looked for programs that I am experienced with. I commented on it in the email. If I did not find anything, I complimented the school on something I saw on their website. I wanted to make sure they knew I was taking the time to learn about their school instead of mass e-mailing people.

14. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 15, 2012

They're very short emails because I know P's are busy this time of year. Basically I told them that I filed all my materials with the district office, gave a brief introduction to describe myself (I c+ped this part), and why I'd be a good fit based on their district's mission statement (this was only a sentence or two). Then attached my resume. I also made sure to address them by name (not "to whom it may concern").

In any case, we'll see what happens! They might reply, they might not. These were all "cold emails" so I'm definitely going to restate my interest if position(s) open up on the websites later in the summer.

15. Minpinxoxo

Minpinxoxo Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

I can relate. I have been searching for a teaching job on and off for the past 3 years. On and off because I got so discouraged at one point that I gave up. I was lucky to have an interview Monday and while I thought it went well, I know my lack of experience was a detterent. The principal flat out said that she was confident in my content area knowledge but that she was concerned about my lack of experience. I feel like NO ONE will give me chance. The way I stay positive is that I dont put so much pressure on myself. If its meant for me I will get it and eventually the right position will come my way. For now, all I can do is have faith and never give up on finding a position and that one Principal that will give me a chance to prove myself.

16. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

I am in your shoes right now and trying to remain positive. One way I'm keeping myself positive is to talk to positive people who already have contracts and ask how their hiring process went. I recently spoke with one teacher who went on an interview in I think...April a few years ago, and didn't get the call that she was hired until a few weeks before that school year started! So, I guess you're in teh running until you get that letter that you're "no longer in the running."

Also, focus on the other pleasures in life. You can only do what you can do. If you are being proactive, networking, and applying, you really can't do anything more. I think you have to just accept when things are beyond your control and put it in The Universe's hands.

I also set a little deadline for myself--if I don't have at least a long-term sub job by a certain deadline, I will still keep looking for teaching jobs, but I will also apply to other fields I'm interested in. Not giving up, but giving my consciousness that validation that I WILL take care of myself, and I will not always be "wanting."

And ya know what? Stay away from jerks/energy vampires.

17. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

I got hired after the school year started last year, so there is hope for you.

18. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jun 17, 2012

I think you have plenty of time yet to find a position. I know several people who have gotten positions something like a week before school starts - some districts really push their hiring to the last minute.

I've also noticed that since the 2011-2012 school year really started wrapping up last week there has definitely been an upswing in the number of open positions posted. Principals had been busy with managing their in-session schools; now they will begin to have time to deal with hiring. Keeping that in mind is helping me to stay positive.

I also recently met up with a girl I interned with this year, and we got on the subject of job searching. I told her I hadn't heard back anything yet, and she said that she hadn't heard anything either, and neither had a few other people from our program who she'd been in contact with. Knowing that everyone else in the area is pretty much in the same boat (solidarity!) is helping to keep me optimistic, as well: it's not us that's the problem, it's some other, external reason. Most likely, it's just too early. I'm certain that a lot of districts don't have their budgets finalized yet, and that can definitely hold up the hiring process.

Good luck in your job search - and don't get down on yourself, just keep working to do your best! :)

19. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 19, 2012

I also wanted to add that I was hired for my first job one week before school began. I keep trying to remember that as I begin to feel discouraged. I am not good with up-in-the-air situations...I like to have my life settled. I guess most of us do. It is really hard to keep your spirits up in situations like this.

The sad thing is I feel that I don't have a lot of time left. I am 45 and have been home with my kids for eight years. I need to get back in now.

I am regretting not waiting on a contracted position last year. Instead I took the first position offered, which was a LTS that came with many promises from the P. Due to budget cuts, the promises never materialized.

I ran into one of the teachers from the hiring committee from the contracted job last week and she confirmed that I was their first choice and that they had hoped to hire me. She also said that things were crazy at that school, and in fact she has just taken another position elsewhere. So maybe it was for the best.

But my clock is ticking....this time for a job, not a baby! LOL