Ways to read literature

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by John Lee, Mar 1, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 1, 2016

What are other ways that I can read novels with my class besides (me) reading aloud? I typically will read aloud, with students following along on their own books, practicing note-taking. This past unit, I did it with an audio book to change things up. One of the things I saw in the last book we read (it was probably somewhat boring), is that students weren't always following along. I also have one student who's reading levels have dropped off consistently all year (after seeing gradual development in previous years).

So, are there other ways that we can have students read a novel together? I'm thinking of doing a book like A Wrinkle In Time or Phantom Tollbooth, but I'd like to explore other possible ways to read a book with my class. I still would like to students to practice actively reading/annotating as well.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 1, 2016

Mini book clubs.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 1, 2016

Anything you can do with a book you can do with a chapter. Assigning short projects after one or two chapters will encourage kids to read them. Depending on the content, have them read (alone or pairs) and: draw the main character, create a comic strip of the events, write a letter of advice to a character, compare two characters, draw the setting, predict future events .....

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 1, 2016

Thank you both. I was thinking something like book clubs, where students are required to read and follow along by taking notes and completing short assignments. How would this work, in a classroom where I have 45 minutes to an hour? Do the students read at home, and come to class ready to participate (in the short comprehension projects)? Or do they spend the in-class time reading independently, and then spend whatever remaining time on the projects?

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 1, 2016

I like having kids choral read with me sometimes. I also read aloud and then pause and have everyone fill in the next word.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

You can set it up either way, John. There is another thread on here about reading at home. It doesn't always work because some students just won't do it. Also, your idea doesn't sound anything like a club. You need some more fun activities if you include the word club in the title. How about painting murals to accompany their reading?

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 2, 2016

Oh, I didn't mean that what I was describing is considered a book club. Students wouldn't choose their books or anything. I was just thinking of different formats besides read-aloud, just to change things up.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 2, 2016

When I did book groups, I called them book clubs too. :2cents:

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 3, 2016

Well, I always let kids choose their books from among a group that I selected for literature groups. As long as there were some creative choices , including artistic ones, written and oral choices, etc, I felt that there was some fun built in. They read in their groups in class. For teacher read-alouds, they were supposed to read at home and then follow along when I read aloud the same chapter in class. We had discussion and then they worked individually on tasks in their journals.