Ways to keep track of 100th day!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 2, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 5, 2011

I might try this. First I need to find a cute small puzzle that is 100 pieces.

Is this something the kids could put together on their own? If I tell johnny to go and put a calendar piece on before we go to lunch because we do not have time to do the calendar could he do it?

I am hearing bags of ten and numbers on the back. Would this be hard for them?

2. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 5, 2011

Also what if for some reason you miss 1-2 days. Do you have to go back and recount all the pieces on the puzzle? Or is there some way of knowing how many pieces are on there?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2011

If you number all the pieces, then you'll know how many pieces are on the puzzle.

I think you would probably make this something that they do during the morning or provide time. It'll probably take more than 1 minute for them to find where the puzzle goes, unless you go in a pattern.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 5, 2011

I guess I'm going to attempt to do the puzzle over the summer. I'm sure I can get one at Target or Dollar Tree to practice with.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 5, 2011

Just go in order. Do the border, then go around and finish in the middle. You don't want to give away the picture right away. As for missing days, I don't know-what do you do with other methods of keeping track of 100 days? I think she does the bag of 10 just to keep track of them easier.

6. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Jul 5, 2011

This sounds so cool!!! I teach 5th, but my school requires us to all to do something for 100th Day. I think even 5th Graders would like this...now to find a puzzle!!! :)

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2011

I've always wanted to do the 100 puzzle idea. How do you put the pieces up? Do you just glue the pieces? (Sorry if this was already asked).

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

Scratch that puzzle idea. I went to get a puzzle today.
    Took me 4 hours off and on to put it together. I finally put it together and thennnnnnnnnnn there is one piece MISSING!!!
    I am so upset.

Well I am a primary teacher and I know how to improvise so I decided I could make a puzzle pieces in a color that is completely different from the puzzle and write 100th day on it.

Well then I started to take it apart and write the numbers on them and group them in 10 and that is not working. I was able to do the sides because that is easy but how do you do the middle?
    This is more work than I thought. That is why I wanted to just stick with the crossing out the numbers on the hunderds chart. :(
    Help Me!!!!

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 7, 2011

I am doing a camping theme this year. For counting to the 100th day, I am having the calendar helper put a bug sticker on a bug jar blackline master. Each "jar" will have ten bugs. There will be a total of ten bug jars. It will be fun for the kiddos and easy for me. :)

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

Finally found the missing piece. It somehow ended up from the bedroom to the living room. But I still can not figure out how to organize the pieces.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 7, 2011

VA, maybe you need a simpler puzzle. My friend just goes around and around until she has the middle piece.

12. sally reading

sally reading Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

VA

When you take the puzzle apart, take it one piece at a time.Start at the top left and go counterclockwise around the puzzle. Take off a piece, write the number on the back and put it in a ziplock bag that is numbered on the outside 1-10.11-20 etc. You will eventually come to the middle. It is really easy and the kids love to guess the puzzle. I usually try to find a puzzle that is related to my theme. It's fun, good luck!

13. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jul 7, 2011

During my student teaching we had a board by the calendar that we added a bear to each day. We called it Bear Days of School. Basically each bear represented a day of school and four colors were used and put in a pattern. Students would predict what color and number was next based on the color pattern. As the numbers went up, we would count by ones up to 20, fives, and tens every day. So it really incorporated a lot of math with the pattern and skip counting. Also, we sang the Zero the Hero Dr. Jean song on the 100th day of school. This was in a kindergarten classroom and I plan on doing something similar to this in my classroom. To be honest, I can't think of a much simpler way to keep track of the days of school as a class.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

You make it sound so easy. I think what I did wrong was I took the top and numbered it from 1-10. Then I took the sides and numbered it 1-10. I did not think to do 11-20. I just assumed I would put one set of 1-10 in a bag and then would have no way of knowing which part of the puzzle the bag was for. I will try again tomorrow.
    :thanks: