Ways to Better Secure My Apt?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 23, 2014

I live in a nice, overall safe city, but of course I'm aware that no place is perfect. I got a notice today from my leasing office that someone forced open an apt door in the daytime & stole items. Usually a notice like this comes around Christmas.

Our apts have an alarm system, but I'm not too confident who will come running to help if the alarm were to go off. I keep a wooden dowel in my back sliding glass door & my window, but there's not much protection at my front door.

What things can I buy/do that aren't complicated nor will alter the property since I rent & don't own my place?

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 5, 2014

Can you ask to have a deadbolt lock installed? That would be my first step.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 5, 2014

When I lived alone, my dad bought me a brace to put against the door but I could only use it when I was home.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2014

Leave lights on when you are not home. Use a timer if you are going to be away.
    Deadbolt is also a good idea.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2014

Thanks for the ideas.

Yes, that would be great if they could. The thing about this is, they'd have to do this for everyone, which they'd consider a big undertaking.

Right, exactly what I knew. I want something when I'm gone too.

Yes, could be a deterrent, but I don't have any windows in the front of my apt, so it won't be too effective. A thief could kick the door in & he couldn't tell if the light was on inside or not.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2014

Light sensors on porch light. Trim hedges down so door can be seen by road. Radio-tv on timer to make noise. Alarm stickers on door. Small dog.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2014

Thanks. I'm in an apt on the 2nd fl, so I have no hedges & the leasing ofc wouldn't want us putting anything on the door permanently. I did have a small dog, but he wasn't a barker...which I like! He was more for companion purposes, not protection. :) Yes, a radio-TV timer may be OK.

9. Harper

Harper Companion

Oct 6, 2014

In my property management days, very few people asked for deadbolts. If they did, we installed them, charged a fee, and charged a removal fee when they vacated. Not too many people thought the "hassle" was worth it. So, just ask - they might say yes.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 6, 2014

All the apts have deadbolts already actually. It's not the MOST solid & strong, but it's there.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2014

I would push for the deadbolt lock. The savings in insurance would be significant enough to be considered, plus it is a permanent improvement that stays with the building.