Way too many teachers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mego65, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

I called one of the districts I applied to today to find out how many positions they have. They just list elementary teachers. I was informed 5 positions are available, and then the wow part, so far they have received 500 applications. WOW! Of course, principals do the hiring and it says to not contact them at all. Well, thank you now I have no way to separate myself from the other 499 applications. I hate this economy!!

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

@#$%! That sucks...

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Which district, mego65?

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

Unfortunately, thats the way it was when I was applying back in 2003 and 2004...so its not just the economy, some areas (like elem ed) are just saturated with applicants. :hugs:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2009

Right, leigh.

That's pretty standard in the NY/NJ/CT area.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

And pretty much standard with any occupation.

I think I read that there wer 250,000 job applications for a few jobs at Lone Star Park horse track for the summer.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 28, 2009

Last year a district I applied to that had 6 or 7 openings had about 2,500 applicants. Many are not that extreme, but 1000 is pretty much expected. It sure does stink.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

I agree with other posters - it is not the just the economy. We are a very small rural district, less than 3000 students in the entire district. While serving my turn on the hiring committee 4 years ago, we would get about 300 apps for each elementary posting, about 250 for every jr high posting and depending upon the subject matter between 300 - 400 for every high school posting. Colleges and univeristies continue to spread the myth of the famous teacher shortage. For the 20 years I have had my teaching license, I have never experienced a teaching shortage, rather the opposite.

Because of this, you need to do everything you can to become employable; allowed multiple people to read and revise your resume, apply EVERYWHERE, (most teachers have some story to tell about their first job and it usually isn't pleasant) and beat the streets. It is a job trying to find a job.

Good Luck

10. palla

palla Companion

Apr 28, 2009

Our county had a single opening for a plumber, and 107 people applied for that job. It was listed for only a few days.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2009

It really depends on the area of the country that you live in. My daughter graduates in elementary education next May and she has a job lined up for the Fall of the 2010-2011 already. She is in a 5 year program and will actually graduate with her masters and bachlors at the same time. She has worked at the school doing aftercare and will do an internship next school year with a 3rd grade teacher who is retiring at the end of the school year and my daughter will take her job the year after that. This is a private school but the public schools in the are also still have openings for this school year. Since we are in the south the pay is low but it is a job and the cost of living is not quite as high as in other areas.

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 28, 2009

Was that in California or Texas?

13. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

It was in Texas, the Austin area. That is what surprised me, I know they are saturated, but they are still at least growing and hiring. In CA two years ago I applied for a job in my district. 2 positions available 2000 applicants. That was the last 2 positions they filled, nothing since then. I didn't get it, and was upset, but those teachers got laid off, so it's not like I missed too much.

CA I expect it, I really wanted it to be a bit better in Texas. But, shouldn't expect anything different right now.

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

The universities need to make their money somehow. I can't tell you the number of times I have run into people that are considering teaching now because it's "recession" proof.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2009

Well, IF that were true, we would all have jobs now wouldn't we?

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

I drove to Arizona last month and interviewed, hoping for a different outcome as well. That state is also facing major budget cuts and layoffs in the school districts.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2009

That's the key, mego...You have to make yourself stand out from the competition...I'm in N. NJ and it's typical for us to receive a hundred resumes for every one opening...
    Make your cover letter impeccable...Well-written, proof-read it several times and ask a few people to proof it as well. You can't imagine how many resumes end up in our 'no' pile because the covers are poorly written, grammatical errors, spelling errors. Tailor your cover letter to each school district, if possible.
    Play up your experience in your resume. Bullet innovative programs or activities you have designed and implemented. Show on your resume that you are familiar with current trends in education, that you have experience with research-based materials and strategies.
    You could post your resume and cover here and we can help tweak it...

18. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

I have already posted my cover letter and resume, and I think they are good. I have great experience I just like to have that contact with the principal.

19. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Apr 30, 2009

I hear your pain mego. I am facing something similar. I would suggest a neon color for your resume. It would definitely be noticeable!

20. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Apr 30, 2009

I respectfully disagree. Nothing screams "UNPROFESSIONAL" like neon anything.

jmho.

21. TechTeach09

TechTeach09 Rookie

May 1, 2009

I think there was sarcasm intended on the neon post :lol::lol::)

22. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 1, 2009

I would have to agree that it was sarcasm

23. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 2, 2009

I heard that too - somewhere people think there are jobs in education and it is recession proof. I think they are misunderstanding the whole field - yes they always need teachers to teach children, etc., however there aren't going to be 1000's of teaching jobs available every year.

24. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 2, 2009

:lol::lol::lol:

A nice bright pink I think! :p

25. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 2, 2009

From Czacza
    Play up your experience in your resume. Bullet innovative programs or activities you have designed and implemented. Show on your resume that you are familiar with current trends in education, that you have experience with research-based materials and strategies.

Having earned my credentials not too long ago, and just now looking for my first job as teacher, I don't think I can compete with experienced teachers who are able to include all that on resumes.

26. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 2, 2009

I'm sure some will think this is open for debate, but imo, finding a job as a new teacher is a mix of being proactive and a little luck.

27. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

May 2, 2009

But Mego, don't you know there is a great teacher shortage?
    Oh, and Bigfoot lives in my backyard.

28. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

May 3, 2009

You should consider Nogales!

Did you consider Nogales Unified District #1--
    Many of our teachers were teaching outside there areas of expertise and therefore were considered not highly qualified. This past year the state department of education had forced most of our schools (and all Title 1 Schools throughout the State of Arizona) to let go of teachers who teach in Title One Schools and are not considered Highly Qualified.

This has left 40 teaching positions open for next school year. I would encourage any teacher interested to apply-- Nogales is an awesome district in which to work.
    Scott Connuck

29. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 3, 2009

Hi Scott~

I've heard teachers must be bi-lingual in Nogales, is that true? If so, I'm outa luck.

30. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

May 3, 2009

Nothing is further from the truth! In fact-- Nogales searches for teachers who are excellent ENGLISH role models, because children need the English in order to be successful in the U.S. business world. In order for Nogales students to have a fighting change of competing in the mainstream of American society, English is a must.

If we have a problem, it is that many teachers fall short of competency in English, NOT in Spanish!

I would suggest applying to Nogales for any teacher interested in making a huge difference in the lives of children, receiving among the highest salaries in Southern arizona (Proposition 301 monies totals about $8.000 in additional funds which may be added to your base salary each year), and working in a most unique, interesting, and friendly place. I have taught in Nogales since 1986, and NO-- I am NOT bilingual! Go for it! And Good luck! Scott

31. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 5, 2009

There was sarcasm intended in the neon post. Honestly how can you differentiate yourself from 499 other applicants?
    Things are just very hard right now and sometimes we all need something to make us smile. The neon thing was a try at that.

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 5, 2009

You can pair that resume with a nice brochure.

33. Wisconsin Mark

Wisconsin Mark Rookie

May 5, 2009

Mr. Connuck, thank you very much for that information about Nogales. I will be looking into that possibility right away.

I'm a latecomer to this discussion, which I think is an important one. It is certainly a challenge trying to stand out in applicant pools this year.

Here's my situation: I have been in corporate education in Wisconsin for several years at a good salary, but got laid off this January. I had been thinking very hard about going back to high school teaching anyway -- I have learned that corporate environments tend to be unappealing to me, no matter the pay.

My MAT is in English Education from BU (3.91 GPA); my BA is in American Studies from Yale (3.65 GPA). I taught English, history, and the social sciences at the high school, college, and adult levels before entering the BU program, but as a "permanent sub" or adjunct -- never as a full-timer. In a way this is good: I am not claiming any years of experience for compensation purposes.

My recommendations are excellent; I had a perfect score on the Praxis II in English Language, Literature, and Composition/Content Knowledge; I was elected to Phi Delta Kappa while at BU.

I have lined up an SP1 License for North Carolina, a Statement of Status of Eligibility for Florida, and a One-Year Certificate for Texas -- all in secondary and middle-school English. Wherever I land, I plan to pursue history/social studies as additional certifications after hire. The paperwork for the English certifications was the easier option for me at this stage.

I have been applying to districts through Teacher-Teachers.com, NCPublicSchools.org, the Texas ESC Regional websites, and districts' own websites. I'm also informed of openings through through the Top School Jobs and Education America websites. I apply for private school jobs at the NAIS website. I have done about 60 online applications altogether so far this spring. I've had some requests for additional information (promptly supplied), but no interviews or real bites yet.

I am open to working in other sun-belt states besides the three mentioned, and with the licenses I have now obtained, getting other states' licenses through reciprocity should generally be manageable. I am registered with the Recovery School District in Louisiana and have some hopes there, and I'm interested in the States of Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada as well.

I didn't aim for California, not because I dislike California -- I've lived there and I loved it -- but because the cost of housing is so high. I haven't pushed for Hawaii or the US Virgin Islands for the same reason.

I interview very confidently and have no doubts about my ability to make an impression at that stage. But getting to that stage is such a challenge!

I had intended to attend the Dallas-Fort Worth teacher job fair scheduled for this Monday, May 4, until it was canceled last Thursday because of swine flu (and I took a financial hit on that). I am looking at the Houston area fair scheduled for June 15 and 16. I would go to the Great Florida Teach-In, but it is being held virtually in July rather than physically in June this year. The North Carolina fairs are mainly single-district, which is not terribly cost-effective for me coming from out of state; a lot of them have been canceled this year.

I have worked with inner-city populations in Chicago with success, so I feel that I can handle any assignment; as a long-term sub, you see everything. Of course, I do like working with very motivated students wherever that opportunity presents itself.

I think that sums up my situation. Any advice or insights are most welcome!

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

WMark, I was going to suggest New Orleans, but you have that covered. I hope things work out for you.

35. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 5, 2009

smalltowngal, it is a district that does not allow any supplemental paperwork. I can't even submit a cover letter, or letters of reference. Just a confusing app, credential, and transcripts.

36. jamespurdue

jamespurdue New Member

Aug 25, 2009

Well Indiana is terrible for just about anything..especially jobs!so it's not totally a myth.. just is in the great state of INDIANA! which is why I'm leaving the state!

37. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

I am glad you've retained your sense of humor Utah wife.
    We need that right now.

38. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Aug 25, 2009

I applied to a district here in Michigan and there were over 10,000 applicants for the district jobs....I actually made it into 2 rounds of interviews....but nothing came of it yet..... :(

Michigan teaching jobs are very HARD to come by....