Way too clever kids

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Nailbiter, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Nailbiter

Nailbiter Rookie

Feb 23, 2008

I just had a little story to share. On Friday, two of my 1st grade girls in my after school class asked me if they could go get their webkins (stuffed animals you can also play with online) from their lockers. I said no, because webkins aren't allowed in our program. It's a new-ish rule, because they're too distracting, the kids don't play with them appropriately (throwing them around and stuff), and sometimes they're used as status symbols to exclude kids who don't have them.

So, anyway, after saying no, about 20 minutes later one girl asks me if she can go to the bathroom, while the other one simultaneously asks the other teacher who was on the other side of the room! Neither of us noticed what was going on, but one of the other kids did and said to me "You know, they're just going to go play webkins in the hall." And I was like "What? They both . . . what? Sheesh!" So I went and looked, and yup! There they were. I of course made them put the webkins away and have time out, and sent notes to the moms about it, but I was secretly a little impressed at their sneakiness. I'm going to have to keep an eye on those two, for sure!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 23, 2008

You are a lot nicer than I would have been. I would have taken the webkins and said they could only have them back at the end of the week. (or next week)

I'm a meanie...I know.

4. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2008

I would have told them they can have them back the next time I saw their parents.

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 23, 2008

Whenever students brought toys, pokemon cards, etc. that were not allowed in school, they stayed in my desk till the parents came to get them. They cause way too much trouble. I had one student give his pokemon cards away to another child to probably become his "best buddy". Well, when mom asked where those cards were he said his friend stole them so he wouldn't get into trouble. I tell every parent this story at the beginning of the year and the consequence. I think I only had to take one item away from a child after implementing that rule.

6. Nailbiter

Nailbiter Rookie

Feb 23, 2008

Oh, yeah, Pokemon was a big problem for us last year. This year, it's Webkins.

I'm not at the confiscating stage yet because the school doesn't have an official policy yet on webkins, it's just my policy in my room during the after school program, so they are still allowed right now to bring them to school. Parents haven't been officially notified of my rule yet, but will be in this month's newsletter.

Confiscating things in general is kind of a sticky situation for us, because it means I have to give it to the person downstairs at the front desk, because sometimes my shift ends before all the kids have been signed out. But then, if the desk person leaves early too and forgets to tell his/her replacement . . . I just don't feel certain enough that things will get returned, and I do feel pretty certain that parents will complain if things aren't returned. If it's something dangerous, or something that was used in a dangerous way, I definitely will confiscate. As it was, making them put them in the lockers may be a worse punishment, because for some reason they're all convinced the lockers are haunted.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 24, 2008

It is pretty clever of them. I so wish though that parents would tell students to leave their stuff at home (unless they are going on a sleepover). Last year my son actually came home with video games. Those things are not cheap. I contacted the teacher and she contacted the parent. It turned out the child was being told to give away his things by the parent. No more video games. Yikes.

8. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 28, 2008

that is too much! they really knew how to work the system!

9. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 7, 2008

I have a June box...if a student brings a toy to school and plays with it, it goes in my June box. Then they don't get the toy back until June. If a PARENT wants the toy back sooner they have to take the time to come in and get it, I think in 9 years I've only had one parent come in early to get a toy and that was even a month after it went in the June box. I don't get many sneaky kids anymore!

10. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I really like that idea, usually they just went into my desk, but that started filling up with confiscated items. Thanks for sharing!

11. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I do this too! Except mine is a May Box! I haven't confiscated many items after doing this as well. In 5 years, I haven't had a parent come to get any of the items. Next year, is a new one though! :)