Way Below Grade Level

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bumble, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 16, 2009

I have a student who is at the kindergarten level for both math and reading. I'm a regular ed 4th grade teacher with 25 kids! How can I teach him on his level without embarrassing him or making the other kids bored? I need all the help I can get. He is without an IEP at the moment. Thanks in advance!

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

I guess I want to know how he got to 4th grade without an IEP or anything?!

I am of no help...but I'd be looking into finding all the services you can get him!

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 16, 2009

I started the paperwork already. I've had a lot of "wow, how did that happen" since I started this new job.

5. BaseballGrl10

BaseballGrl10 Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

We had a 2nd grader come into our class this year and she didn't know anything. Knew no letters or their sounds. Had to contact the P and set up meetings and the student was moved back to 1st grade and she is doing much better. Sounds like your student needs to go back a grade or two.

6. meeko32198

meeko32198 Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Don't feel bad Bumble. I'm in a 4th grade class as well and have a few students without IEP's that are on a kinder/1st grade level for all subjects. I was told by my cooperating teacher (I'm student teaching) that in the district teachers are told not to hold students back regardless of their progress. :dizzy:

I forgot to add that what I'm starting this week is small group workshops for math. I already do them for reading and writing. Hopefully it will help.

7. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Sep 17, 2009

Small group instruction is the way to go. I have 28 students and over half are below grade level. My range is Primer to 6.8. None of my 3 lowest students qualified for Sped (P, 1.6. 1.8). I differentiate as much as I can during whole group and pull a lot of small groups for everything else.

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 18, 2009

We are using corrective reading/math, so small group instruction will be really limited.I sent this student to get evaluated by the school psychologist and the request was accepted. We have to wait a month.