Way behind already!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 12, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 12, 2013

This year I wanted to try teaching "in the moment" a bit more. I'm always so rushed with lessons, because I try to stick to our tight schedule. I feel like I miss out on so many teachable moments.

I have not even launched writer's workshop this week. I had a nice little lesson planned for each day, but our social studies lessons have run over. I was going to do a shared reading lesson yesterday, and we ran out of time. I don't feel like I am over-planning, either. For example, in social studies yesterday, we reviewed what it meant to be a good citizen at home and in school. Then we talked about being a good citizen in the community, and played a quick game on the smart board. Then they did a short writing activity on how they are good citizens at home, school, and the community (just 3 sentences total). It was meant to take about 30 minutes, but it took an hour!

I guess I just have to prioritize? Or perhaps I am forgetting how much longer things take them to do in the beginning of the year.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 12, 2013

I am new to second and am also finding that things take longer than I expect. I am trying not to rush, because it won't do the kids any good, and I will just get crazy. I am hoping this will improve within a few weeks. (I also have three 6 year olds in my class!)

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 12, 2013

I feel your pain. My team hasn't even launched Daily 5, and here we are on the 12th day of school. I am trying not to freak out! The problem is that we have to complete mCLASS assessments by a certain date. The window opened on the 3rd day of school. That's not enough time to properly launch Daily 5, so we have been assigning seatwork. My school is new to mCLASS, so it's taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r...I have been assessing during almost all my 90-min Literacy and part of social studies and I still have 5 kids left to test!

The other day I spend 2 hours on math...I have never done that, but amazingly, my kids could handle it that day, for whatever reason, so I just kept going...it was a place value lesson, and I know how important that is so I just went with it!

I think the problem is they're just slow at this point in the year. The other day it took them an hour to write a list of 7 times they had fun with their family. It was a pre-writing activity that I thought would take 20 min!

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 12, 2013

I haven't launched writer's workshop yet either. Yesterday we didn't get to math. It happens. Things take waaaay longer at the beginning of the year because I'm teaching every procedure every time. Those teachable moments are what students' remember so I often go off on tangents. At the end of the day everything can be tied back into our learning outcomes, so I don't sweat it.