Watsons go to Birmingham - 1963

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by jwhitg, Oct 7, 2007.

1. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I am planning on starting this novel with the kids on Tuesday. I am wanting to do an introduction to the novel and the Civil Rights Movement on Monday. Anyone know of any good lessons/references I can use?
    Thanks so much!!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 7, 2007

Teaching Tolerance has great lessons for the civil rights movement. Just google "teaching tolerance." Most all of the lessons and videos are free and the focus is on students impact during the civil rights movement. Another great movie, if you can find it, is the Murder of Emmitt Till by PBS. If you have netflix, you can find it there. This movie holds my students interest and they are outraged at the end when the 2 white gentlemen that killed Emmitt are found not guilty. You can also find lesson plans to go with this movie on PBS.org

4. jaylynn917

jaylynn917 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

We just finished Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, and one of the projects that the students really loved was putting together a timeline. We chose 20 different significant events from the Civil Rights movement and each student created a picture to represent their event. We finished by laminating them and putting them around the room by date. Not only did they enjoy it but also had a visual reminder, while reading the book, of the challenges and trials many families have gone through since the Civil War.

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Oct 9, 2007

I don't know about a begining activity but I know of a GREAT ending activity!!! We had to read this book for one of my many children's lit classes in college and for the ending activity for this book my professor had us break into groups and paint a mural based on significant pieces of the book. She had us do it on Butcher paper so it could be nice and big and even those of us who had no artistic ability had fun with it.