Waterbottles as their tables....

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Aug 4, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

Has anyone ever tried this with Kindergarten? I have a drinking fountain right in my room .... but sometimes I get annoyed with how many times kids are up out of their seats getting drinks even when I encourage them to make good choices of times to get drinks. I have also sat through many of workshops where they mention that well hydrated kids perform better. I keep thinking/wondering if my kids could sip on water throughout the day that could be a plus! But would it be a nightmare on the same token? I look forward to your advice/experiences!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

Would unlimited access to water mean more bathroom issues?

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

We allow this at my school. They can fill their bottle one time right away in the morning, and they can only drink water (one mom used to send soda!). They do eliminate drinks from the water fountain, and the kids don't make a big deal about them. The only thing that I hate is when they spill...

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 4, 2010

When I student taught kinder our policy was that they could have a bottle with a sports top (less spillage issues) with just water in it. It worked out fine and I don't think it made a big difference in bathroom breaks.

One of the other kinder teachers bought a case of water every 3-4 weeks, put the kids name on the bottle and that was their desk bottle. That way she knew it was a sports top and nobody felt left out for not having one.

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

In addition to spilling, water bottles leave a water ring on the table/desk which then gets all over their papers.

I allow students to use the restroom and get water freely as long as they are working independently. When I'm instructing, giving directions or if we're on the carpet they can't get water.

If you do plan on allowing water bottles, maybe getting coasters would help.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

My kiddos keep their water bottles on a shelf.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

Ever since taking a brain research class, I have ENCOURAGED water bottles at desks. Someone explained the 'bathroom issue' this way: if you don't water a plant and it dries out completely and then you water it, all the water runs out the bottom. But if you water a plant that is already moist, just a little bit at a time, the plant retains the water it needs. My kids don't use coasters- they either have sports bottles or bottled water...we fold paper towels to put under the bottles if there are bottle 'sweats'. No problems. :thumb:

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

I should add that it helps if the kids have to keep their bottles on the floor. The water marks are very annoying...They don't remember to keep their water bottle at the edge of their desk, so whenever I hand out a new paper they get wet.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

I encourage them to bring one. Towards the end of last year, I bought a case and provided a bottle when kids forgot theirs.

We ask the kids to bring in an old sock to put their bottle in - to eliminate the 'sweat' ring on the desks.

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 4, 2010

When I read the title of the thread I was dumbfounded. I thought to myself, I have heard of creative ways to use materials but... Waterbottles as their tables???:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

12. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 4, 2010

Sock idea is cute! But would the bottles tip over easier?

13. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

I also have my kids keep the bottles by the table leg on the floor.

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 8, 2010

I read this thread the other day and it got me thinking about how I was going to control water this year...I got a huge new remnant carpet to cover a multitude of stains and I do not want ot to get in the same condition as its predecessor. So, here is what I have decided. I am asking that each student bring in a water bottle with the sport top lid(the ones that have spouts that go up and down to prevent leakage/spills). I will allow the kiddos to fill them in the morning. Then, we will have a special shelf in the room where the bottles will stay, and during the day, if they need a drink, they may get one. I figure it is no more disruptive than multiple requests to go to the fountain, and we won't have spills on the table and floor. We will rinse them out at clean up time to prepare for the following day. I will tweak this plan if it becomes too disruptive. :)