Water spill on laptop.... ahh!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, May 28, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 28, 2008

Last night was spending a lovely evening in front of my computer playing with my new PrintMaster program (so fun!) when I got an idea I wanted to jot down in my notebook (I get many ideas for next school year in the middle of the night). It was 1am so of course I was sleepy and not really paying attention when I knocked over a cup of water and it fell on my laptop. I just saw a few drops on the top so I wiped it off. No big deal. Then my speaker starts making crackling noises and I realize some of it poured in. I start wiping it off and then unplug it.

I was freaking out!!

I tried turning it back on while praying to God that it still works, but the lights turn on, it makes some noises, but the screen is still black. AHHH!! I try a few times and it doesn't work. When I leave it on, it makes clicking noises. Great.

I call HP. They tell me that it's probably destroyed and it's going to cost me like $800 and I'm basically doomed. She says I need to send it right away but I say I'm going to Best Buy because I still have a warranty. I thought it was an accidental warranty (like they have at Circuit City), but NO it does not cover liquid spills!!!!! Ah! I hate Best Buy.

I honestly don't care about my laptop right now, I just care about my hard drive. I don't know how to take it out, you'd think there'd be some kind of seal around it so it wouldn't be easy for liquid to go through. I haven't backed up my stuff in ages. I have so many important things on there. Seriously you'd THINK I'd learn...................... my hard drive kept crashing back in 06 and I lost everything.

So anyway, please please please pray for my hard drive. Pray that nothing is lost. I don't care if I need a new laptop - sure that would financially be rough. But memories and hard work are things you can't replace! I should get a Mac. My school Mac has lasted through so much and it's still kickin'.

Okay I'm off to Best Buy. :( :( :( :(

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 28, 2008

:sad: I'm soooo sorry. Thankfully I have Dell's unlimited warrenty for 5 years. They will replace it if anything happens.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2008

Ick! I hope that you are able to get all that info off your hard drive. Sorry! :(

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 28, 2008

I know exactly where you're at!!!! I turned on my laptop last week only to get the "blue screen of death!!!!!" Thank GOD my BF is a computer geek and could download a temporary version of windows on my computer to get everything off before we had to reformat and reload EVERYTHING!
    It's an awful feeling! I'm praying for your hard drive.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 28, 2008

Good luck with your hard drive -hugs-

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 28, 2008

I def need a computer geek boyfriend! Maybe I can find someone at the Geek Squad at Best Buy, hahaha. I need a laptop, and a boyfriend, thanks!

I went there today and I actually do have the accidental warranty! Yay! I paid $99 for them to back up the data. So I hope they are able to get everything off of the hard drive. Ughhh I hate this!

8. glenn

glenn Rookie

May 28, 2008

If you do not have a flash drive I would get one. It is fast to back up your data and will save you from stressing out in the future if something happens to your computer.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 28, 2008

The sad (or stupid) thing is that I have an external hard drive. I just haven't USED it yet. :(

10. glenn

glenn Rookie

May 28, 2008

We learn from our mistakes. At least that is what I have found that very true in my own life.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 28, 2008

I am going to buy one with my next paycheque. I am really surprised that I haven't spilled a large amount of liquid on my laptop in the 2 years that I have had it. My school district is going MAC, so I may have to buy a new one if I decided to stay for longer than another year...

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 7, 2008

UPDATE

I picked up my laptop today from the Geek Squad. Apparently I killed the motherboard so they replaced it. It works fine (so far). Everything is back to how it was supposed to be. Firefox was even able to restore itself to the websites I was on at the time it died! Weird!

Luckily, I was able to get this done for $0 (besides the $99 I spent for a data back up, but everything is on there anyway. I don't care about that though, I just wanted my stuff to be safe!)

Yay accidental warranty! I've had to use it every time.:2up:

BUT I STILL WANT A MAC! LOL! :blush:

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 7, 2008

Well I'm glad it worked out for you. Accidental warranty is soooo worth it.