Water Cycle Woes!!!!!`

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Youngteacher226, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2007

Hi everyone,
    going into another unit in science and I am excited about it. I will be teaching the water cycle to my 2nd graders. Everything looks good, but I could definately use some ideas on ways to teach it and how to make it fun. FUN is my middle name. Due to the fact that my class don't have a set of textbooks (I have a new classroom), I have been teaching social studies/science myself without the help of textbook explainations. ;) How do you all teach it???????????????????????:D

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 13, 2007

These are not my ideas.

Water cycle bracelet:
    Each child will need a piece of gimp or string or pipe cleaner and six beads-light blue for rain, green for grass, dark blue for a puddle, yellow for the sun, clear for evaporation and white for a cloud.
    Story: One day the rain started to come down from the sky. It landed on the grass. The raindrops made a puddle. The sun came out and warmed up the puddle. The droplets evaporated and went into the sky. so many raindrops got together that they make a cloud. Then the rain fell from the cloud. It landed on the grass. The children move the beads as the story is told.
    Water travels in a cycle, yes it does
    (use pointer finger to make a big circle)

Water travels in a cycle, yes it does
    (repeat finger circle)

It goes up as evaporation
    (move hands up to the sky)

Forms clouds as condensation
    (make a cloud overhead with arms)

Then comes down as precipitation, yes it does!
    (sprinkle with fingers while bringing arms down in front of you)

4. Mr Rhubarb

Mr Rhubarb New Member

Jan 26, 2007

There is a really great website with a hilarious explanation, but this website won't let me post it!!!!

5. cogteach

cogteach Rookie

Jan 26, 2007

water cycle

I taught 2nd grade until last year and I put some water in a freezer ziplock bag and put a bit of blue food coloring in it. I sealed it and hung it in the window where it got plenty of sunlight. I hung it at an angle so it looked like a diamond. We watched and recorded how it looked each day.

6. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jan 26, 2007

I had my kids act out the water cycle, and they loved it!

Start by squatting on the floor, then wiggle your whole body up to a standing position opening up arms so they are spread wide, and say "evaporation". Once standing bring arms in to form a circle and say "condensation". Then start wiggling fingers while slowly lowering arms to the ground and say "precipitation" Do this cycle over and over, faster and faster, it is a very popular game. The stages also stay in their heads a lot longer. Also instead of saying the name you can have them spell it!

Have fun

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2007

Good, good ideas!!! I love the idea of having them re-enact the process themselves!!! Keep the ideas coming please..........:p

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 27, 2007

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2007

Magic school bus has a great movie on it... My fifth graders watched it before their big science test & we got the highest scores in our school over the water cycle.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2007

PM me with the website, please, Mr. Rhubarb.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 27, 2007

'daisy, I PM'ed him for the site, and he said he'd lost it and offered the Paradox Theatre site as a substitute.

12. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Jan 27, 2007

At Outdoor School, they have our kids (6th graders so it's pretty funny) do the Water Cycle Boogie. It includes all the stages of the water cycle combined with dance moves like the macarena and the hokey pokey. I don't think anyone will ever forget the water cycle. As I remember, they do a step slide forward for runoff, then a crouch and a shimmy up for evaportation, etc. Similar to earlier post