Water balloon action painting

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Securis, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 4, 2010

Yes. I'm willing to take the chance that some willy child will throw one at another student or myself. My mischievous self tells me that'd be great fun.

I have an idea of how I'd get paint into the balloons but I think the paint will be thoroughly diluted and not present intense results. Any ideas on how to get more paint into the balloons without creating a great mess?

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 4, 2010

hmm.. do you have liquid watercolors? Find the tiniest water balloons you can get. Put some watercolor and water in. Then I guess you get to have fun experimenting to find out the best water to paint ratio.

I think if you really stress the fun of this project, and no one wants to ruin the fun for everyone else. Anyone throws the balloon in any other way other than directed, painting is over. This will probably keep the pressure on them to do the right thing.

Sounds fun...and messy! Just the way we like it, lol

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2010

I don't put paint in the balloons but I have children dip them in paint to make balloon prints. I have also put a little water in them, attached rubber bands to make them like yo-yos and used them just as fun and also dip them in paint and paint paper on the ground.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

That sounds like an increcibly fun activity! My first thought was something like a turkey baster or cajun injector (http://www.cajuninjector.com/ ) Be sure to share before and after pictures with us!

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 4, 2010

Actually, I have both of those.

You know what! I have a hand pump as part of my portable lab. I can mix the paint in water and pump it through into the balloons.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 4, 2010

We always just take tempera paint and put some in the balloons, then blow the rest of it up with my mouth and carefully try not to breathe paint.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

This sounds like so much fun--something your students will remember forever!

9. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 4, 2010

How can the balloon 'pop/explode' to splatter if it just has the air in it? just curious.....